Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

SQL Server 2005 Best Practices Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 4:37 PM

I would agree with the other comments, nice article but hardly best practice.  One thing that was not mentioned was the use of the Upgrade Advisor, which comes with SQL Server 2005.  I would highly recommend this prior to making an migration moves whatsoever as it provides you with a comprehensive list of tasks to be performed prior to migration, and once migrated setting the compatibility level to 90. 

For those looking for a resource on Partitioning in SQL 2005 Kimberly Tripp has a good paper on it.  http://www.sqlskills.com/resources/Whitepapers/Partitioning%20in%20SQL%20Server%202005%20Beta%20II.htm

I agree with Chris H regarding the use of CLR.  While I have not enabled it as yet I am certain that someone will present me with a strong enough business case where I will need to enable CLR in SQL.  I have not come to grips with a process for allowing developers to deploy, but one thing is for certain no code will be deployed until I have looked at the code and bless it. 

Microsoft is deprecating many commands as we know them today in SQL 2000 for better or for worse. Again running the Upgrade Advisor will assist greatly in the task of mitigating these issue.

John

Post #248404
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2006 9:31 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:45 AM
Good review of new features.

Post #248499
Posted Monday, January 9, 2006 12:21 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:46 AM
Is there a "real" best practices guide for SQl Server 2005? If so, google can't find it. Does a best practices guide really exist? This article is definitely not a best practices guide.
Post #249404
Posted Monday, January 9, 2006 12:44 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, December 5, 2014 8:45 AM

It's not exactly a "best practices" guide but here is the link to the msdn operations guide (as it currently exists) for SQL Server 2005

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/library/operations.mspx

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/
Post #249409
Posted Monday, January 9, 2006 12:50 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:46 AM
Thanks for the link. It should help me get started. However, I don't understand how a company can "roll out" a new product without guides on how to use it properly. Thanks for the help DC Peterson, it's much appreciated.
Post #249412
Posted Monday, January 9, 2006 12:56 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, December 5, 2014 8:45 AM
They have actually done a really good job with Books Online from my experience, and there are certainly a bunch of specific recommendations there, but it's not in an easily readable "white paper" format.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/
Post #249413
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:15 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:28 PM
Is it OK to install SQl Server 2005 final on my laptop?

Our current production environment is VS.NET 2003 and SQL Server 2000. I would like to install SS2005 to play around. Would that impact previous dev tools?

Thanks in advance.
Post #250381
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 10:05 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:53 AM

I agree with others that this is a nice list of the new features but not Best Practices.

I would not advise to reset Compatibility Level because your current version of your application may use features that are not supported on 2005. The exaple is an industry leader CRM application ( I don't want to name names) where I ran an Upgrade Advisor.

For the Best Practices I would start with ones for developers and ones for sysadmins. Updrades are fine, but what about the new installations? I am still waiting for the best practices for placing features on the drives for 2005. In 2000 I would put Program Files on the OS /Program Files RAID 1 and Data Files on RAID 5. In 2005 when you install, the Data Files feature is a subfeature of Database Engine feature. And I would not put feature and its subfeature on separate drives. This is just an example of what could be a best practice advice.

Regards,
Yelena Varshal

Post #310602
Posted Monday, September 25, 2006 6:56 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:17 PM
I'd like to hear a response from the author of this article on the DBCC statement.
Post #310834
Posted Monday, July 30, 2007 6:52 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:22 AM
I cant believe I went through the registration process to read this article. Please rename it from 'best practices' to 'upgrade options and new features'.
Post #386481
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse