Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1415161718

How To Mess Up An Interview Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:59 AM
"...like I'd just found him in my living room floor in his undies with my dog and a jar of peanut butter."

Just what response is the author expecting here. This "humor" was not used as an example; these are the author's own words. I was floored this went unnoticed the first time when I commented.

I agree the appropriate use of humor can lend readability to a piece, but this is so far from professional I'm amazed it was "reprinted". I read many publications and have NEVER read anything like this. It almost caused me to leave when it was printed the first time. This time it will. I will find a more professional site, with more professional authors.

Good luck to you.

- Jeff -

Post #315890
Posted Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:04 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:18 PM
Thanks for the waste of time -

If you want serious tips on interviewing, visit MSN homepage instead.
Post #315955
Posted Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:49 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:39 AM
If you want to impress at an interview, be professional, likeable, and competent.  And most of all, rely on your experience and not the juvenile advice given by the author of this article.
Post #315973
Posted Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:41 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:32 AM

Steve,

I can't believe you featured this article again, what were you thinking? 

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #315986
Posted Tuesday, October 17, 2006 11:11 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:52 AM
This article doesn't make any sense. professionalism still exists & still company out there is looking for experienced & professional IT canidate. people likes sober & mannered person in there organization who he/she talks with respect & humble tone. if the person is decipline, mannered & good by heart he/she can win the world.
Post #315989
Posted Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:58 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, May 4, 2008 8:44 AM

What an entertaining article! Your ideas on what to do and not do sound like some questions I have had in interviews. They are so absurd and strange, they can have no other purpose than to test how we will respond to them.

As I read this, I want you to know that I did not react; I just sat there quietly and continued to look you in the eyes and afirm you as you were saying these things and not let on that I really wanted to run out of the room and find a job anywhere else.

Or, were you serious?

If the interviewer makes some sexual comment to me then I should do the same so I will fit in with the team? Please.

Post #316028
Posted Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:48 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:01 AM

Last year when this came out I commented about what I took away from the discussion and the article. I have not interviewed since then and I do not know if I would take any or all of the advice given. Except for one thing

If you want to be a success in the interview tell the truth, the truth about you, your work, your work habits, and your expectations. Lay it all out there.

DO NOT HIDE WHO YOU ARE!

If you really tell it like it is and are hired you will be convinced that they want the real you. If you cuss then cuss, if you God Bless then God Bless. We do not need sailors who hate faith-based people and organizations working with priests not missionaries who are attempting to convert everyone working with those who would rather kill then be converted. 

BE THE REAL YOU!

You do not want a job where they do not want you nor what you have, and the person who is interviewing does not want to waste the companies time on someone who might last a week or three.

GET THERE, GET REAL, AND GET THE JOB FOR YOU NOT THE JOB FOR SOMEONE ELSE.

Good article or not it makes you think and that my friends is valuable, very valuable.

Enough said. Later...

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #316078
Posted Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:18 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:35 PM

I wouldn't curse in an interview

Post #316115
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1415161718

Permissions Expand / Collapse