Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

How To Mess Up An Interview Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 12, 2005 4:39 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 3:55 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sMcCown/howtomessupaninterview.asp

Watch my free SQL Server Tutorials at:
http://MidnightDBA.ITBookworm.com

Read my book reviews at:
www.ITBookworm.com

Blog Author of:
Database Underground -- http://www.infoworld.com/blogs/sean-mccown
DBA Rant – http://dbarant.blogspot.com
Post #228490
Posted Monday, October 17, 2005 1:22 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 10:02 AM

Hi Sean,

I'm not sure that I agree with your analysis on the appropriate (or inappropriate) use of language at an interview. I think that it is safer not to second-guess what is appropriate language based simply on what one interviewer may have said. The problem being that other interviewers present may not share this person's choice of language. Be safe and don't swear (or curse) would be my take on this.

I do agree with you about not using 'God Bless' or other similar phrases when communicating with non-believers, even though God's blessing (known as common grace) is showered upon all who are alive on this Earth, believers or non-believers! There are other ways to share the Good news, and the interview is not the place to start.

Paul Mu

MCSE, MCDBA

Post #229258
Posted Monday, October 17, 2005 2:16 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, July 14, 2014 3:32 PM

If saying God Bless You and God Be With You and the like is wrong, is saying May The Force Be With You wrong?

Cheers,
Crispin

I can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!

It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!
Post #229267
Posted Monday, October 17, 2005 4:11 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:56 AM
I think that would be fine Crispin.  Apparently during the 2001 census in the UK 16% of the population stated they had no religion, this included people putting down heathen, agnostic, atheist and of course Jedi Knight.  There was a small movement to try and get Jedi recognised as a religion!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
Post #229278
Posted Monday, October 17, 2005 7:02 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:07 AM

Hello Sean,

I really enjoyed your take on cursing: I think cursing, like everything, has its place and time. I have worked with people who cursed all the time and, although I am not a puritan, it did get to my nerves after a while.

Incidentally, your last sentence:

"don't use dang, or shucks, or monkeytrucker, or the like… it's really gay. Curse and be proud..."

may offend more susceptible readers with a different sexual orientation.

Be well,
Everardo

Post #229296
Posted Monday, October 17, 2005 7:35 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, November 10, 2014 7:17 AM

That's an interesting take on the use of language. I hadn't thought about that angle much but when I read your article it made me think about the language I use in the workplace. When I am working onsite at a client's location I tend to use milder language but I still curse when necessary. It helps me change thought processes and look at the problem in a different way. There may be more constructive ways to do it but cursing can be a little more fun that some other things; it's also a lot faster than a game of solitaire which can cause trouble if someone pops into the cubicle at the wrong time!

The moral of my story is that it is important to find a job that fits you and the interview is a two-way process. I will be on the lookout for that if I ever need to interview again.

Thanks Sean!

Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD
Business Intelligence Administrator
MSBI Administration Blog
Post #229301
Posted Monday, October 17, 2005 7:42 AM
SSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:59 PM

I found your comments on religious statements should have more brief and to the point. I agree that there is no place in an interview to make such statements. However your paragraph on the subject may also offend people, and it seemed more like and attack then advice. 

I do agree that practicing your answers out load is a very good idea. Hear it, do it.

Cursing is never a good idea in an interview, or in business for that mater. If you are comfortable doing it while while working with your team you may just say it in front  of a client or customer and that is not expectable.

Always take the high road any you will have a lot less to apologize for.

Stacey W. A. Gregerson
Post #229304
Posted Monday, October 17, 2005 7:48 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, March 9, 2009 1:35 PM
Interesting, Sean, 'God bless you' is offensive but cursing is sometimes okay?! This is more like "How to Mess up an Article about How to Mess up an Interview".

Post #229305
Posted Monday, October 17, 2005 7:52 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:21 AM
This article is really a joke, isn't it? Is anybody really taking this guy seriously? He is obviously talking to the drunks out over the right field wall I guess. Does he really think it is Ok to swear in an interview, but not Ok to use religious language? How is religious language more offensive than foul language? He even advocates religious discrimination by endorsing the fact that a woman was "canned" for her religious expression. And who can take a person seriously that uses the term "it's really gay"?

This article is very unprofessional. And, I will not be reading any more of this guys advice.
Post #229308
Posted Monday, October 17, 2005 8:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, February 16, 2007 9:35 AM

Sean, I agree with one point - team player concept. That aside, I find your approach to be clearly "anti" anything that you perceive as not part of "YOUR" team as being the wrong thing to do. Therefore, your advice is absolutely lame when applied in a different environment. Suppose the job you are interviewing for is in a Christian owned business??? Or perhaps a "family friendly" environment such as a children's hospital or some similar postiion where you will work with people of ALL points of view and not just your own. You will definately NOT get that job, and from your attitude - you wouldn't want it anyway.

The bottom line is that your advise will only work in certain VERY LIMITED situations and not in all situations and therefore it is not good advice. In fact - you advice is offensive and cost you this interview.

Post #229345
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse