Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

RS SP2 install RSCLIENTPrint via cab file, is there an MSI? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 07, 2014 4:50 PM
I'd actually liek to mention another post That I've just used to create my own MSI for deployment to my organization.. It's a bit more fully fleshed out for those users who have access to Visual Studio and don't know how to create an MSI file...

http://www.mydatabasesupport.com/forums/ms-sqlserver/233916-rsclientprint-deployment-question.html

Once you create you file you can push it out via SMS or Group Policy or whatever.

One thing the above link doesn't remind you to do is in the the Project properties, make sure you set removePreviousVersions = True. That way whenever you update you package and deploy it you don't have to worry about older versions hanging about.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this

For better help with performance problems please read this
Post #638502
Posted Friday, January 16, 2009 2:13 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, February 11, 2011 11:56 AM
Luke, that's very helpful! Thank you for posting the link, as I myself was wondering about a few of the configuration options and how they need to be set.

Thanks again.
Post #638512
Posted Friday, January 16, 2009 2:20 PM

SSCrazy

Yeah I'd been searching for just such a solution for a while now. Just found it today, it tests out pretty good. nice thing is that it's already an MSI so SMS can handle the privilege elevation and such for you, just push it out with a /qn and you're all set.

I'm just wondering if I'll have to regenerate it everytime I apply a SQL patch. I'm thinking it's more than likely, 'tis why I put the bit in about remove previous versions...

-Luke.

Post #638521
Posted Friday, January 16, 2009 2:52 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:54 AM
I don't think that the RS Client Print control is affected by SQL Server updates. I think it pretty much stays the same as it is just an ActiveX control to enable printing in the browser.
Post #638540
Posted Monday, May 04, 2009 7:07 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:23 PM
cool man...we are looking for this kind of stuff.
I had tried installing SP2 update of SQL Server 2005.
Then tried registering the dll from cab file. but no help.

It used to show "unable to load client print" when
registering dll and prompt to install control
when deregistering it.
Post #709356
Posted Monday, May 04, 2009 7:23 AM

SSCrazy

Did you try the create your own MSi bit or were you just registering the dll?

I've found that to be the one that works the best in our environment. Of course, if you're already getting the prompt to download and install it would seem you already have admin rights so the point is somewhat moot. Just download it and install and you'll be all set.

-Luke.

Post #709365
Posted Friday, July 24, 2009 8:50 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 25, 2009 6:53 PM
This doesnt work.
Post #759156
Posted Friday, July 24, 2009 9:09 AM

SSCrazy

Care to be a bit more specific?

Creating a custom installer deployed via SMS to my non admin users seems to be working fine in my environment...

-Luke.

Post #759182
Posted Friday, July 24, 2009 9:21 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 3:55 PM
I have found that several patches I have applied to SQL lately (SP and Cum Upds) will update the RSClientPrint dll. This is unfortunate as it also appears to never be backward compatible so we have to push an MSI (that we must create ourselves) to all desktops at the same time we apply a SQL SP to the server. We can't push the MSI early to have the desktops prepared or they break in the currrent environment. This is combersome and I wish MS would correct. We set the package set to uninstall the old one and install the new one.
Post #759200
Posted Friday, July 24, 2009 10:34 AM

SSCrazy

yes unfortunately that is a requirement. One would hope MS would come up with a better solution. Fortunately, for my organization at least, is that we're somewhat small and the workaround of saving a Pdf and then printing is acceptable for my user community until the patches are distributed. Within a day or so we are able to have approx 90% of our machines patched, so the majority of them never notice.

You may want to work with your systems management/patch management folks and see if they have the availability to use Wake on Lan to wake up the workstations during non-production hours to ensure patch delivery overnight while the workstations are not in use. Or you can ask them to set up a larger number of repositories and to push that particular update separate from your monthly update cycle. Since it's not very large, and it doesn't require a reboot, it should be easy to distribute the same day you patch your servers.

-Luke.

Post #759299
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse