Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

RS SP2 install RSCLIENTPrint via cab file, is there an MSI? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 14, 2005 10:05 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:55 PM
I need to push the RSCLIENTPrint control to desktops where users do not have privilege to execute the cab file when RS tries to push.  I found the RSClientPrint.cab file, but is there an MSI for this?  My active directory manager would rather push an msi if one is available.
Post #219692
Posted Monday, September 19, 2005 8:00 AM
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
No one has responded to this topic yet. Even if you don't have a complete answer, the original poster will appreciate any thoughts you have!
Post #221097
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 6:18 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 6:15 PM

Hello everyone! I'm also having the same problem with this. Any scripts out there that will run this as a startup script?

Thanks.

Post #282257
Posted Friday, August 25, 2006 3:53 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, December 1, 2014 10:16 AM
We have come across this same issue - our users do not have administrator access and therefore cannot get the print client control installed. We are using RS 2005 with Service Pack 1.

We found a Knowledge Base article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280579/en-us) that mentions creating an MSI to install the control, but I can't figure out how to get it working.

I was wondering if anyone found any resolution to this problem. I've also heard of people installing the cab files on the client machines, but there is no mention as to where instructions are for doing something like this.

I'm surprised I didn't find many more gripes about this when searching around. Anyway, it would be good to get all the solutions in one place if possible.

Thanks for your time!
Post #304267
Posted Friday, August 25, 2006 7:03 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:56 AM

I'll try to take a look at this when I get a break in the schedule next week. If someone in your group has Installshield it's pretty easy to build the MSI, it will extract the CLSID and do the work for you (mostly!).

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #304297
Posted Monday, August 28, 2006 7:07 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:55 PM
We never did get the MSI built.  What we did was change a security setting in AD that allowed non admins to install signed updates.  This not only solved this problem, but a couple others that were going on.  Since RS tries to install automatically when someone uses it, actually pushing it wasn't requried.
Post #304392
Posted Monday, August 28, 2006 11:17 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, December 1, 2014 10:16 AM
It's nice to see some solutions coming together. We're not going to make a decision on what to do until at least next week, but our IT Manager has been leaning towards the MSI solution. I have to admit I'm not too familiar with installer programs.

I also found this solution on Experts Exchange, it might prove helpful to others:
1. Find the RSClientPrint.cab file on Reporting Services server
2. Extract all files into a directory on workstation and run regsvr32 on RSClientPrint.dll at command prompt

The problem with this method is that those clients that use it will not be updated in future Service Packs.

Post #304520
Posted Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:35 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:54 AM
After searching for an MSI installer for this without success I was able to build this one which worked for me to enable non-admin users in a managed environment to run the SQL Server Reporting Services RSClientPrint controls in the browser.

My environment is SQL Server 2005 SP2 with Reporting Services.

Attached is a zipped copy of the RSClientPrint.msi file. (RSClientPrint.zip)

Hope it helps someone else. :)

-Erik

Let me know if it works for you, by replying here to this post.

Post Attachments 
RSClientPrint.zip (1,436 views, 950.02 KB)
Post #424766
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:35 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:59 AM
Erik (11/21/2007)
After searching for an MSI installer for this without success I was able to build this one which worked for me to enable non-admin users in a managed environment to run the SQL Server Reporting Services RSClientPrint controls in the browser.

My environment is SQL Server 2005 SP2 with Reporting Services.

Attached is a zipped copy of the RSClientPrint.msi file. (RSClientPrint.zip)

Hope it helps someone else. :)

-Erik

Let me know if it works for you, by replying here to this post.

Hi would this work in a SQL Server 2000 environment ie is Reporting Services independent of SQL version?

thanks in advance

-Andrew
Post #442878
Posted Friday, January 16, 2009 1:11 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, February 11, 2011 11:56 AM
The RS 2005 client print control should work with RS 2000 reports as well. Here is a quick tutorial I found on how to create the .msi file:
http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/client-side-printing-silent-deployment-of-rsclientPrint.aspx

thanks!

Michael R.
Post #638466
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse