Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Starting Query Analyzer Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 12, 2005 5:14 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:59 PM

Also, one little know tip for the Quick Launch menu, re-size the toolbar so that only the double arrows are visible, if you click the arrows a popup menu appears and you can select your shortcut from the menu. Below is a screenshot of how this looks on my home computer with the toolbar title visible.

That would certainly save task bar space, especially if you have other tool bars. I can't get my QuickLaunch bar that small though - the smallest it will go is 3 icons wide. Is there some trick to make it smaller?

You need to show the toolbar title. The title comes from the folder name, so just make it a short name.

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Australian SQL Server User Groups - My profile
Phills Philosophies
Murrumbeena Cricket Club
Post #228498
Posted Wednesday, October 12, 2005 10:49 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 4:34 PM

Of course, there is always another way to start QA

How about creating an association to a script file extension - I guess most of us use .SQL.  The association can be set via the QA Options - General Tab.  Set "Select SQL Query Analyser as the default editor ... etc" to true.  Then a simple "double-click" of the script file from Windows Explorer initiates the loading of QA.  Make sure you choose the correct database before executing the script.

There is a down side to this if you use an external text editor for creating scripts.  Obviously, that editor will no longer act as the double-click default.  To overcome this, there is always the "open With" option when you right-click a script file.  WinXP will remember this after the first time it is done (you may have to go through selecting a program the first time it is done) so that QA always appears as an option thereafter.

It is also not a great method if you are working with multiple databases/servers.  But for DBAs predominantly working on a single database it certainly provides a fast method of opening QA with the added advantage of already displaying the script you want.

So there you have YAC - yet another choice - just what everyone needs.

Rowan Shattky
--------------
Life is not a chair to sit on, but a cliff to hang from.

Post #228551
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse