Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Question of the Day for 13 Sep 2005 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the Question of the Day for 13 Sep 2005 posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/testcenter/qod.asp?QuestionID=598.
Post #215160
Posted Tuesday, September 13, 2005 6:51 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:37 PM
I could send some Pink Paper to Redmond, this bug shows there is a terrible shortage there.
Post #219142
Posted Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:47 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Saturday, September 27, 2014 12:26 PM

That makes no logical sense at all. I'll sign the pink paper if you want. =)

Post #219174
Posted Tuesday, September 13, 2005 9:20 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 10:29 AM
Great question that points out a terrible 'undocumented feature' (bad bug) in 64 bit ...

Regards
Rudy Komacsar
Senior Database Administrator

"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."
Post #219237
Posted Tuesday, September 13, 2005 10:00 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2008 12:15 PM

Actually, I don't think its a bug per say, its more of I need to get this 64bit edition to market so I can say we support it and I dont care if some of the tools are still 32 bit, DTS being one of them.

The DTS runtime and its designer tools are not available on the 64-bit platform. You can read data from and write data to a 64-bit system from a 32-bit system running DTS, and you can physically store your DTS packages in a 64-bit SQL Server database. But the DTS packages themselves will not run on the 64-bit platform.

In addition to DTS being in 32bit, the 64-bit server must be administered remotely from a 32-bit workstation or server. Most of the tools, such as SQL Server Enterprise Manager, SQL Query Analyzer, SQL Profiler, and all of the Analysis Services utilities are not available on SQL Server 2000 (64-bit).

Post #219267
Posted Tuesday, September 13, 2005 10:32 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 10:29 AM
Thanks ... I stand even more enlightened about 64 bit (never having to research it). Definitely a 'rush to market thing'. I am now more inclided to say 'partial product' (a combinatino of software and vaporware). I'm not knocking things (been a SQL Server DBA since v4.21), just calling it as I see it. After all the price is still 'full' (no discounts for workarounds), so I'd expect 'complete' software for 'full' price.

Regards
Rudy Komacsar
Senior Database Administrator

"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."
Post #219279
Posted Tuesday, September 13, 2005 11:08 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2008 12:15 PM
I agree with you fully there, MS should never release products that are not complete, but hey they do it all the time and for some reason, ppl accept that and still continue to buy thier incomplete products, and I guess it because its done in the absence of anything else out there (scratch that, probably cause you need the increased performance of 64bit and all your apps are in sql2000 and can't be ported to something else, so your stuck with buying an incomplete product).

Post #219294
Posted Tuesday, September 13, 2005 12:12 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Saturday, October 22, 2005 4:09 AM
I think the question was worded wrong.  The question did not mention migrating from the 32-bit version...  I researched this and would have chosen the correct answer, but not in the context of the question "Can you run a DTS package on SQL Server 2000 64-bit edition?" 
Post #219311
Posted Wednesday, September 14, 2005 2:27 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 4:08 PM

It's hardly undocumented. If you look through the articles on 64-bit SQL (on the MS site) it's quite clear that most of the tools don't have a 64-bit version. The DTS runtime is one of them.

I've got a 64-bit server here, and to be quite honest, it's not that large an issue. My main production server is 64 bit (itanium) and I've got a second server (32 bit) which has all the DTS stored on it.

A much bigger issue which I had is that there are very few (stable) OLE DB/ODBC drivers available for 64 bit.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #219500
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse