Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Use SQL-DMO and Excel to Quickly Create Reports for Auditors Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:02 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/cmiller/usesqldmoandexceltoquicklycreatereportsforauditors.asp

Post #215142
Posted Tuesday, October 4, 2005 1:25 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:56 AM

Excellent!

First time I see an easy to understand and very useful SQL DMO example.

Congratulations,

Geert

Post #225724
Posted Tuesday, October 4, 2005 3:30 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:26 AM

Very good concept, but unfortunately as always, I can never get VBA script to work :-(

When I have time, I may try to do the same thing using .NET, C# and Office Interop Libraries.

Alastair

Post #225746
Posted Tuesday, October 4, 2005 8:06 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Saturday, June 20, 2009 1:52 PM

Incredibly powerful! Thank you for the great example. Awesome stuff!

Kevin

Post #225846
Posted Tuesday, October 4, 2005 7:17 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, October 6, 2014 6:18 PM

Simple and elegant.

This one worked for me straigt from the 'box'.

Tom

Post #226107
Posted Thursday, October 6, 2005 9:54 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 9:55 AM
i keep getting a server doesnt exist or access denied error.  I triple checked the server name and verified my nt account has SA privs.  Maybe im doing something wrong.

Post #226733
Posted Thursday, October 6, 2005 2:46 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Saturday, November 1, 2014 5:07 AM
I am having message server does not exist. Any tips on what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

Post #226887
Posted Thursday, October 6, 2005 3:43 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:02 PM

Have you followed the instructions on the helptab of the worksheet? The config tab contains the following entries in column A, all of which need to be deleted (including List your SQL Server HERE) and replaced with the SQL Server names in you environment:

List your SQL Server HERE
SQLPRD1
SQLPRD2
SQLPRD3

The VBA code loops through the list of server specified in on the config tab column A (Column A is a named Excel Range "Server").

Post #226916
Posted Thursday, October 6, 2005 4:08 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Saturday, November 1, 2014 5:07 AM

DOH!

Thanks cmille19, should have actualy used my brain on this. Working like a charm now.

Post #226932
Posted Saturday, December 3, 2005 5:16 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2008 7:18 AM
The example you provided is great. One comment though- the same goal can be achieved without any development efforts by running simple SQL queries on all databases and servers in parallel and returning aggregated results from all queried databases, by using tools such as SQL Farm Combine.

The SQL-DMO code is good, however it runs serially and it can take quite some time for results to return, especially if you extend the example to return larger result sets, or retrieve data from a large number of databases and servers.

Editor's Note: : Dr. Omri Bahat works for SQLFarms, a software vendor of SQL Server tools.

Post #241790
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse