Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««34567»»

Interviews Part 2 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, September 22, 2005 12:05 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:28 PM
Rick:

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/covering_indexes.asp

--
Adam Machanic
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com: THE SQL Server Blog Spot on the Web
Post #222788
Posted Thursday, September 22, 2005 3:43 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:16 AM

Doesn't every DBA start as a junior DBA?  I see DBA's as being a senior level IT postition though, so a senior developer or admin might become a junior DBA.  I doubt that I would ever hire somebody straight out of school, or new to IT, as a DBA.  I want somebody with some serious battle-scars to watch over our data.

There are some jobs that just need a wide range of experience to be effective at and DBA and Data Architect are some of them.  A senior DBA is a candidate to become a junior Data Architect etc...  DBA is not an entry level job in my book.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/
Post #222875
Posted Thursday, September 22, 2005 4:11 PM

Ten Centuries

Technically, maybe.

But no one with 10 years of IT experience is going to take the job "junior"-ANYTHING. At least, no one I know.

--
Adam Machanic
SQL Server MVP
Post #222887
Posted Thursday, September 22, 2005 4:20 PM

Ten Centuries

Yeah, I suppose your're right.  I don't recall a DBA position with "junior" in the title anywhere.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/
Post #222891
Posted Thursday, September 22, 2005 9:38 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, December 6, 2006 10:20 AM
Actually, I started my IT career as a junior DBA (this was in 1999, before the dot com meltdown). I was working for a large private company in Minnesota and going to school part-time so I could switch to IT. The DBA group had 3 senior DBA's and they were looking for someone to do the routine work, i.e. set up users, backup databases, help developers with simple problems. But my situation is the exception, not the rule.

Diane

Post #222928
Posted Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:12 PM

Ten Centuries

So how was it? Were you mentored? Do you feel that you were "brought up" well by the senior DBAs in the organization? Do you wish you'd taken a different career path?

--
Adam Machanic
SQL Server MVP
Post #222931
Posted Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:40 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, December 6, 2006 10:20 AM
Oh yes, I'm glad I took the job. The senior DBA's were great at teaching me although I did give them some grief from time to time. Like the time I made a production database "disappear" while learning about the SQL Server 6.5 copy object wizard. Funny, now I have a general distaste for all types of wizards...

Since then I've moved on to other jobs, moving back and forth between DBA and Database developer positions. I'm currently a Database Engineer(developer) for a .com, and I get to work with SQL Server 2005!

Diane

Post #222936
Posted Friday, September 23, 2005 1:33 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, December 9, 2005 10:22 AM
They don't call toilet cleaners, toilet cleaners either. They are either sanitation engineers or hygiene executives.
Post #222964
Posted Friday, September 23, 2005 3:08 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, November 3, 2006 9:40 AM

Which goes back to my original point... since there are no 'Junior DBA' jobs, the hoards of junior DBA's are going to inflate their resume's and try to squirm through the interview process to try to get a "Senior DBA' job.

The result for the interviwer is going to be a lot of people who look good on paper, that think that a varchar is a char that was left on the grill for too long.

However, from the interviewee's perspective, what choice do you have? You have to get a job somehow, and you don't want to abandon the education you just worked so hard to get.

No easy answer, is there?  

Post #223322
Posted Friday, September 23, 2005 7:01 PM

Ten Centuries

"a varchar is a char that was left on the grill for too long"

I love it!

/*****************

*****************/
Post #223349
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««34567»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse