Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Interviews Part 2 Expand / Collapse
Author

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:23 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sMcCown/interviewspart2.asp

Watch my free SQL Server Tutorials at:
http://MidnightDBA.ITBookworm.com

Read my book reviews at:
www.ITBookworm.com

Blog Author of:
Database Underground -- http://www.infoworld.com/blogs/sean-mccown
DBA Rant – http://dbarant.blogspot.com
Post #215136
Posted Monday, September 19, 2005 1:39 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, July 14, 2014 3:32 PM

It’s all relative.

I have met my fair share of so called DBA’s.

Due to the position I was hiring for, I was looking for someone who knew SQL well.

Not to put a title on it, senior or junior, but they needed to know SQL well as there was no one above them.

One “Expert” with 8 years of experience I interviewed was truly amazed by a LEFT OUTER.

In 8 years he had never seen one. He called himself a senior DBA. The reason being, he was the only DBA at the company. Truthfully, that would make him the most senior DBA, by the same token, a Senior DBA.

As far as the performance tuning questions go, I to have had some interesting ones.

A guy claimed to be brilliant at performance tuning. It became clear that when  he inherited the system, there were no indexes. He started adding indexes to tables until things speeded up. When asked what his criteria for an index was he said trail and error. When asked about how it impacted data modifications, the look on his face said “I am confused” but he replied, with confidence, “Why would it affect inserts? Indexes speed things up”

Yes, relative to what he had, he was brilliant at it.

With some, note some these people, there is hope. You can’t crucify someone just because they have been stuck in a small company as the senior DBA. Granted, if you looking for someone who knows, fine, but I am all for seeing potential in people who claim to be senior and are not.

If the arrogance of the perceived position is to great for them to want to learn and correct their ways, they will always remain a large fish in a small bowl.

Cheers,
Crispin

I can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!

It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!
Post #220994
Posted Monday, September 19, 2005 2:03 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, December 9, 2005 10:22 AM
My boss showed me some questions that they used when they were recruiting for my position.

Aparently they had a lot of candidates that didn't know the difference between a unique key and a primary key.

Off the top of my head I couldn't remember what ACID stook for even though I knew what the acronym meant.

I can remember a previous IT director complaining that 90% of people got where they got by bullshit and therefore assume that everyone else did too!

I can feel a "users from hell part 3" coming on
Post #221000
Posted Monday, September 19, 2005 3:31 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Sunday, July 27, 2008 10:54 AM

Ya, it's true and unfortunate but happening in most of interviews.

I think it is better idea to have a series of articles on this, as Mr.McCown mentioned. This is going to help atleast to the people who "really" want to become good DBA.

Post #221017
Posted Monday, September 19, 2005 3:35 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Or atleast give the chancers an idea on how to bullsh1t their way through interviews better...

Cheers,
Crispin

Post #221018
Posted Monday, September 19, 2005 6:43 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:17 AM

Wow!  Thanks for the article.  I think I will have my wife read this one.  She's always giving me advice about how to write my resume.  I just tell her I'd rather keep a mediocre(read lower-paying) job than lose a great one.

But, seriously, as an actual junior dba, I would love to hear more on this topic. Thanks! 

Post #221059
Posted Monday, September 19, 2005 7:06 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:08 AM

To be honest, though you were right to grill this person from a technical standpoint in the interview, I believe you crossed the line in your email back to this person.  To be honest, your tone and tactlessness was unprofessional in and of itself. 

Simply put, you could have simply said something more hr like. ...

While we reviewed your skills, we have selected a different candidate who was a better fit for the position.  Good luck in your job search.

That would have sufficed. . .

Post #221062
Posted Monday, September 19, 2005 7:52 AM
SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:21 AM

people have such an over-inflated opinion of their skills it's not even funny.

http://www.phule.net/mirrors/unskilled-and-unaware.html

-- Stephen Cook
Post #221088
Posted Monday, September 19, 2005 8:00 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, December 9, 2005 10:22 AM
Any woman in any nightclub could tell you that
Post #221118
Posted Monday, September 19, 2005 8:03 AM

SSC Eights!

I've been told I am to modest

Cheers,
Crispin

Post #221120
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse