Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Enterprise Manager Tricks Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:59 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sarur/enterprisemanagertricks.asp

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**
Post #213197
Posted Monday, September 26, 2005 4:55 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:38 PM

Nice job Sushila.... I use EM to troubleshoot other people's more complex joins and, occasionally, to make my own.  And, I "steal" code from it and QA quite a bit for the sake of speed as you suggested.  You and Erik are correct... when I was a newbie and found out how to do those things, it was about as good as Christmas.

I've been busy enough where I haven't paid much attention to Yukon and was disappointed to hear (in your article) the EM is going away.  Perhaps another article that compares some of the tools like EM between 2000 and Yukon would be worthwhile.

Thanks for the article and the forum answers you've posted.  They help Newbies and Oldbies alike.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #223493
Posted Monday, September 26, 2005 5:20 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:44 PM

Nice article, but you forgot to mention one trick, or should I say chore Refresh, refresh, refresh and if you still can't find what you're looking for, refresh again

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Australian SQL Server User Groups - My profile
Phills Philosophies
Murrumbeena Cricket Club
Post #223499
Posted Monday, September 26, 2005 8:00 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 1:20 PM
Nice article.  You might want to mention that EM should not be used to modify tables that are already populated.  EM completely re-builds and re-populates the table from scratch for any modifications to it - even something as simple as adding a new column.  Using T-SQL in QA will usually run several orders of magnitude faster, especially for tables with a lot of rows.
Post #223566
Posted Monday, September 26, 2005 8:10 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, September 16, 2013 8:08 AM

I use EM for two functions that I do quite often, creating databases and scripting store procedures.

I know that it is fairly simple to create a db in TSQL, I just got in the habit of doing it through EM.

Scripting store procedures, on the other hand, is another story. I don't know of anyway to script a store procedure from TSQL, scripting it to the point of being able to cut/paste into QA to modify the procedure. sp_helptext does not help because it puts carriage returns in inappropriate places.

Is there a way to script a store procedure in TSQL?

Post #223573
Posted Monday, September 26, 2005 8:21 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:44 PM

Mike, you can add columns to a table in Enterprise Manager without too much fuss at all. Just add them at the end. Then EM will just use the sp_addcolumn stored procedure.

Also, if you are editing the structure of a populated table, then it's actually better to do it in Enterprise Manger, grab the change script, and close the design view without saving the changes. The reason for this is that Enterprise Manager will do a better job of scripting all the constraints that apply to the table.

Richard, you can script most things from the Object Browser in Query Analyzer. Just right-clcick the object and choose "Script to New Window as ..."

Just make sure you visit the Options before you do any scripting. Checking the "Include Object Permissions" is one that always catches me

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Australian SQL Server User Groups - My profile
Phills Philosophies
Murrumbeena Cricket Club
Post #223580
Posted Monday, September 26, 2005 8:28 AM
SSCrazy

Richard - not sure about your scripting stored procedures question but there're several ways to do it:
1) In EM - use "All tasks" - "Generate Sql Script"....
2) In QA - use the object browser and "Script object to New Window As..."
3) Create a template & use it to modify & create new procedures.
Hope at least one of these methods has addressed your question.

Jeff - thanks for the kind words - find it difficult to believe that I could've helped any "oldbie" but will take your word for it!
Phill - thx. for drawing my attention to the non-mentioned trick -
Mike - Didn't know that EM does this - Think that with the expertise of all the articles you've written you're quick to find "missing links" and I'm grateful for your input.

Post #223581
Posted Monday, September 26, 2005 9:30 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 11:52 AM

I tried the link above, and got page not found ??    Did some pirates whisk it away somewhere ?

(edit) Found it by looking around a bit ....

Post #223615
Posted Monday, September 26, 2005 9:35 AM
SSCrazy

what link would that be hb01 ?!

Post #223618
Posted Monday, September 26, 2005 9:43 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 11:52 AM
Sorry I wasn't clear.  I hadn't seen you EM Tricks article, so I tried clicking the link in your first post.

Post #223625
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse