Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Employee Retention Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:30 PM
You hit it on the head. Show me a company that values there IT employees and I'll go work for them. Until then, I'm sticking it out as a consultant. Much of what you write about is talked about in Tom DeMarco's book called Slack. It is a great, short read if you are looking for inspiration on future articles on this topic.
Post #303300
Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:51 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:02 PM
I think the issue of skill growth (call it training, professional development, or just 'experience') is fundamental. Too often (in my humble experience), managers have some performance metric that is taken as the gospel truth, and direct their efforts to moving that metric in whatever direction suits their bonus. This has the effect of creating a 'production line' mentality, focusing on short term results and the 'quick fix'. Instead, providing workers with the opportunities to deepen their understanding, and then find new ways to apply their learnings, creates innovative solutions to problems that will improve the metrics by default.
Post #1498895
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse