Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

SQLSERVERAGENT service on Local Computer started and then stopped Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:27 PM
its helped me to resolve this issue...
"The Sql Server Analysis Service (MSSQLSERVER) service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service"

thnks...

can you explain the reason behind this issue ?
Post #764138
Posted Sunday, September 20, 2009 2:14 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:02 PM
I had the same problem. To resolve do as follows:
a) stop all sql services from service manager.
b) change the logon for the following services from a named user account to local system account and stop the services.

SQL Server, SQL AGENT, SQL Server Browser,SQL Server VSS writer and SQL Server Reporting(if installed).

c) After changing, start the services again(in local system account logon)
d) Once all services start successfully, change the logon account back to the named account which was in use previously. Either restart the machine or stop and start the individual services from service manager.
Post #790877
Posted Sunday, September 20, 2009 2:21 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:02 PM
I had the same problem. To resolve do as follows:
a) stop all sql services from service manager.
b) change the logon for the following services from a named user account to local system account and stop the services.

SQL Server, SQL AGENT, SQL Server Browser,SQL Server VSS writer and SQL Server Reporting(if installed).

c) After changing, start the services again(in local system account logon)
d) Once all services start successfully, change the logon account back to the named account which was in use previously. Either restart the machine or stop and start the individual services from service manager.
This resolved my problem
Post #790879
Posted Friday, October 23, 2009 1:14 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:37 AM
It appears that the VIA protocol for MSSQLSERVER is Enabled.
If you disable it, MSSQLSERVER will start.
Location for disabling VIA protocol:
Computer Managment -> Services and Applications
-> SQL Sever Configuration Manager ->
SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration ->
Protocols for MSSQLSERVER -> VIA (if Enabled, disable it.)

If MSSQLSERVER, still does not start, try starting the service: Distributed Transaction Coordinator from (Run) services.msc. After that disable VIA. It worked for me.

Post #807648
Posted Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:32 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:04 AM
Hi everybody,

I've had this error message with SQLServer Agent service.
I use a domain account to start this service. This account is not a Local Administrator.
I've added this account on the specific SQL Agent Group:
Default instance: SQLServerSQLAgentUser$ComputerName$MSSQLSERVER
or
Named instance: SQLServerSQLAgentUser$ComputerName$InstanceName
The error message i've get was:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services
The SQLSERVERAGENT service on Local Computer started and then stopped.
services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts Services
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To solve this, i've checked Access control lists for the SQL Agent group.
To do this, please read the following article:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504.aspx

Now, all is alright
Good luck !!

Bye
Gurvann
Post #889056
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:23 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, February 11, 2013 7:59 AM
Almost Identical scenario - Solution was to make sure the account being used by SQL Agent Service is a member of the SQL Server SysAdmin group. SQL Server service works fine - even though the account is not a member of teh SysAdmin group.

Background Info about Environment:
We recently created a new domain account that would be used to run SQL Server and SQL Agent services for a specific instance in a multi-instance, multi-CPU consolidated server(SQL2005 SP2). I added the domain account to the Local Admins group and opened up services.msc and modified teh logon account information. SQL Server service runs fine - but SQL Agent service would NOT startup.

Hope this helps somebody(or me the next time I make the same mistake)
Sudha

Post #967449
Posted Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:12 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:17 AM
We had same issue on a sql 2008 Sp1 box.

The Analysis Service was pointing to folder "d:\program files\microsoft sql server\msas10.mssqlserver\olap\config" for the msmdsrv.ini file. However the config folder was at location D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Config, copying back to the original location fixed the issue.

Binu
Post #1025893
Posted Thursday, December 02, 2010 11:32 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:28 AM
Dear check that whether you are running your instance in single user mode
Post #1029664
Posted Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:45 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 04, 2012 1:45 PM
The above posts gave me a clue with the same issue that I had with SQL server 2008. Sometimes, as in my case, when the SQL install creates the accounts for starting the SQL services it fails to add the accounts into the local administrators group on the server. When I checked, the auto-created accounts weren't part of *any* group. I added them to the local administrators group. The next time I tried to start the agent, it ran with no problem.
Post #1053579
Posted Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:50 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, April 04, 2011 7:07 AM
Anything You Are Able To Find In The Error Logs?

NEVER NEVER EVER GIVE UP
Post #1053677
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse