Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

SQLH2: The Free Health, History and Performance Monitoring Tool Expand / Collapse
Author

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, November 13, 2014 9:28 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/kKellenberger/sqlh2thefreehealthhistoryandperformancemonitoringt.asp

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #168550
Posted Monday, March 28, 2005 4:59 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 12:29 PM
Kathi, good article. I love this tool and it's price tag especially . The setup though was a bit of a challenge and maintainability is tricky (modifying the XML files, etc). It's a great version 1 product though overall and I'm sure they'll build on it.

Brian Knight
Free SQL Server Training Webinars
Post #170289
Posted Monday, March 28, 2005 7:58 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Thanks, Brian.  I found the the set up was a little tricky at first, too.  My goal was to give a different perspective on installing and configuring so that others would have an easier time than I did.  I also think that this tool is not widely known and many DBA's might hear about it from my article.

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #170319
Posted Monday, March 28, 2005 8:25 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:35 PM
I setup this tool but I was after more frequent collection of performance counters for overall sytem health (System, ASP, etc). I think I set it for hourly collection and the database quickly grew to large.

Not to knock this tool but for my purposes I have opted to use the round robin database http://www.rrdtool.org. Adrian Wood put together a complete package for system monitoring including an ASP front end called wshRRD which is available at http://members.optusnet.com.au/~picuspickings/

There is also a java version of this solution called JRobin (http://www.jrobin.org/) but I havn't tried it yet.

The set up is probably as involved as SQLH2 but the nature of RRD means that the database size is fixed. In my case the the db size for each performance counter (each instance) is 41kb and will never get bigger! It has a built in graphing function. So now I collect performance counters every 10 minutes without having to worrey about it consuming my harddrive.

Cheers,

Dave

Trainmark.com IT Training B2B Marketplace
(Jobs for IT Instructors)
Post #170338
Posted Monday, March 28, 2005 8:33 AM

Right there with Babe

SQL Server Central is all about DBAs and developers helping each other out, so I'm sure that others would appreciate learning about these tools as well.  Thanks for mentioning them!

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #170340
Posted Tuesday, March 29, 2005 11:55 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:56 PM

Kathy,

I think there is an error in batch file. I believe it should look like

NET STOP SQLH2PerfCollector
C:\SQLH2\SQLH2.exe /CC:\SQLH2\H2ConfigPerf.xml
NET START SQLH2PerfCollector

Otherwise performance file is locked by the service and SQLH2 can not get anything out of it.

Post #170642
Posted Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:00 PM

Right there with Babe

It will still work if you just stop and start the service.  When the service is restarted, it will create a new file with a different name.  The old file will not be locked.

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #170644
Posted Wednesday, March 30, 2005 9:14 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, June 16, 2014 12:34 PM

I experienced the same problem as Nikolay Chernavsky. I had to stop the service, then run SQLH2.exe, then start the service in order to avoid the file lock issue.

Below is the error I received when the bat file command order was start service, stop service, run SQLH2.exe:

3/30/2005 7:50:48 AM    INFO:   D:\SQLH2\PerfCollector\Data\pf033005011842.txt: fid = 7, state = 0, retry = 0

3/30/2005 7:50:48 AM  ERROR:  The process cannot access the file "D:\SQLH2\PerfCollector\Data\pf033005011842.txt" because it is being used by another process.

Post #170879
Posted Wednesday, March 30, 2005 10:56 AM

Right there with Babe

That is very odd, the SQLH2 base collector is only supposed to pick up files starting with 'pfc', so it shouldn't have even tried to open that file.  Normally, you don't stop the performance collector at all to run the base collector, so, in theory you shouldn't have a problem.  Running the base collector in between the stop and start evidently works for you, so continue on...

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #170903
Posted Wednesday, March 30, 2005 2:55 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, October 4, 2012 1:34 PM
Any way to make this work across NON-trusted domains? Other than installing it in every domain. Centralized collection would be nice.

Post #170998
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse