Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

How to over come the Data Issue Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:25 AM
Hi,

I have a package which imports data from csv file (tab delimited) to sql server database. earlier when testing with development DB there was no issues, but implementing the same to the testing DB it throwing multiple errors like truncation happened on "some column" but the staging table width was set to 4000, actual data length can not be more than 100.

I found what type of data is causing issue. I have given the sample screen shot with the attachment.

kindly have a look and let me know how to over come this issue.

Thanks,
Prabhu

Post Attachments 
SSIS_Data_Issue.jpg (4 views, 456.34 KB)
Post #1605885
Posted Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:15 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 12:55 PM
How is the column defined on your flat file connection?

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1605886
Posted Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:34 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

It is a Tab delimited columns
Post #1605899
Posted Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:46 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 12:55 PM
But in the advanced "tab" from your flat file connection manager, there's a data type and length defined. The truncation might be occurring in there.

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1605904
Posted Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:16 PM
SSC Journeyman

in the advanced tab, the datatype is set to Unicode dt_stwr (something which is equivalent to nvarchar) and the width is 4000, actual data flows through the flat file is having a maximum of 22 only.

my question is, is there any transformation which could search for some condition and overcome these kind of issues in the future, as of now I have fixed it manualy (really tedious....)

is there any possible way to handle it in any of the transformation in sql2012.
Post #1605957
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse