Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Yet Another Attack Vector Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:56 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Yet Another Attack Vector

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1605261
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:12 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:42 AM
Well it highlights that people should know their rights as clearly this could be used for industrial espionage as well as many other things. For people who travel around the world (Steve, for example), how are they supposed to know and keep knowing their rights in different countries?

I guess you guys and gals over the pond have it hard enough with the variation in state law and hope that most of this kind of issue is covered by federal law.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1605318
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:28 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:46 AM
Stealing a cell phone is petty theft, but impersonating a law enforcement officer is a felony. It could potentially be considered kidnapping, if they hold the person against their will and coerce them in some way. I hope the courts don't overlook this distinction when they prosecute these guys.
Post #1605422
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:34 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

When traveling outside the US, especially to a country with a State Department travel warning, you should consider leaving your smart phone and laptop at home and instead carry a disposable flip phone will call forwarding. When local airport security pulls someone off the side for enhanced screening, it could be a pretext for perusing the contents of your personal device data.
Post #1605427
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:41 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Eric M Russell (8/20/2014)
When traveling outside the US, especially to a country with a State Department travel warning, you should consider leaving your smart phone and laptop at home and instead carry a disposable flip phone will call forwarding. When local airport security pulls someone off the side for enhanced screening, it could be a pretext for perusing the contents of your personal device data.

...and for us in the UK and elsewhere: When traveling to the US you should consider leaving your smart phone and laptop at home and instead carry a disposable flip phone will call forwarding. When local airport security pulls someone off the side for enhanced screening, it could be a pretext for perusing the contents of your personal device data.

Gaz

Post #1605437
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:48 AM

SSCommitted

Gary Varga (8/20/2014)

...and for us in the UK and elsewhere: When traveling to the US you should consider leaving your smart phone and laptop at home and instead carry a disposable flip phone will call forwarding. When local airport security pulls someone off the side for enhanced screening, it could be a pretext for perusing the contents of your personal device data.

I agree totally. Even a 70 year old retired school teacher flying from Georgia to Florida to visit the grandkids could find themselves pulled into the homeland security twilight zone simply because they share the same name as someone of the US no-fly list.
Post #1605445
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:14 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:56 PM
The problem is that far too many of us travel for work. Leaving a laptop/cell phone behind isn't an option.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1605455
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:31 AM

SSCommitted

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/20/2014)
The problem is that far too many of us travel for work. Leaving a laptop/cell phone behind isn't an option.

My work laptop contains nothing but a bare bones install of Windows 7. I VPN/Remote Desktop into a PC sitting underneath by desk back at the office; which is the normal way I work every day. Not even email is stored locally. Of course I don't store the VPN login credentials. If someone steals the laptop, all I've lost is $350 and an excuse to buy a new one.
Post #1605468
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:45 AM

SSCertifiable

Gary Varga (8/20/2014)

I agree totally. Even a 70 year old retired school teacher flying from Georgia to Florida to visit the grandkids could find themselves pulled into the homeland security twilight zone simply because they share the same name as someone of the US no-fly list.

Joking aside, we have all had a peek at the invasive spying on one another recently; US on Germany, Germany on Turkey and those are spying on close allies then we have China on US, US on Russia. Of course, here in the UK we have GCHQ to land ourselves in the same spying trouble too. Then there is [Country] on [Same country]'s citizens - replace with different countries for various incidents.

Gaz

Post #1605472
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:47 AM

SSCertifiable

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/20/2014)

I have nothing that wouldn't bore most people in minutes. More value to advertisers than national security or industrial spies.

Gaz

Post #1605473
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse