Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Version Control - Dealing with Code Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, November 10, 2001 12:00 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:57 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/vcspart1.asp

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1601
Posted Monday, November 19, 2001 12:58 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 9, 2012 12:11 PM
I see you advicing against using Visual Interdev, my company is just looking for some vss integration for sql server. Why do you advice against it? (Thnx, i guess you'r saving me a lot of time..
regards henk meulekamp

/edit=typos, damn why not read messages before hitting that submit button

Edited by - henkm on 11/19/2001 02:30:50 AM

Edited by - henkm on 11/19/2001 02:32:10 AM

Post #23716
Posted Monday, November 19, 2001 2:29 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:41 PM
I also would like to know why you advise against using Visual Interdev. I've implemented and used it successfully in a couple of jobs.

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Australian SQL Server User Groups - My profile
Phills Philosophies
Murrumbeena Cricket Club
Post #23717
Posted Monday, November 19, 2001 10:20 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

It has been problematic for me. In VI 6, there were bugs with managing stored procedures. I heard these were ironed out, but haven't checked it since SP3.

Also, it only handles stored procedures. IF you have to use 2 different methods, then the chances for error increase dramtically. IMHO, it's best to have a simple, clean solution. VI doesn't provide the complete solution.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Post #23718
Posted Sunday, November 25, 2001 3:42 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 12:00 AM
Steve, thanks for the Article, I also don't use interdev because now, it doesn't support SQL Server 2000 and does not handle UDF's.

Steve, what I was not clear about is exactly how do you check in and check out of VSS, is it just into a text file?
In Query Analyser, do you do File>Save As, then save it to your C:\SQL folder then go into source safe and then check it in? it seems like a long winded process, for each and every object in the DB. (I have 3500 objects in my DB and I don't want to have to do that). Is there a quicker way.

Post #23719
Posted Monday, November 26, 2001 8:45 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Yes I do it manually. Updating lots of objects is tedious, but there are a few tricks.
1. Naming conventions. Keeping all objects named according to some rule makes things simpler.
2. I always have VSS and QA running. They are both set to work with the c:\sql folder, so things are in one place.
3. Use the search features of VSS. If I need all stored procedures that reference the "Products" table, I search for them and then check out all the items that are found.

I have probably 1000 objects on my main server and I make changes very quickly. Week to week, I am working with only a dozen or so and I use the method in my new article to track changes. That way I know which objects I need to work on.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Post #23720
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 8:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:06 AM
Steve,

I liked your article, I have been wondering about SQL version control and will probably adopt some or all of your methods.

You mention that you hate navigating through lots of levels folders from the command prompt. This is something i have found annoying in the past one quick way round it is to put a short cut into the 'SendTo' folder that points to Cmd.exe. Once you have done this you can right click on any folder in explorer and select send to command prompt this will cause a command prompt window to open at the folder.

In W2K the shortcut should be:
Target: %windir%\System32\cmd.exe /k cd
Start in: %windir%

I also use this technique to register and unregister dll's

Cheers

P

Post #23721
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 6:43 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, February 18, 2005 8:40 AM
Oddly enough, about 2 weeks ago, I came up with what amounts to be the same technique, including the multiple vss subprojects and a single working folder.
I did note that if I check a file out of vss (e.g. dbo.tablex.TAB) , edit it and run it in query analyzer, and then check the file back in, then I get an odd issue that the version that sql server holds differs from the vss version in that the sql version somehow adds extra line breaks...

Anyway, like you, I have several developers who don't always use vss, but go straight to enterprise manager. So every few days, I generate the sql scripts for the entire db to my working folder and I run a recursive differences report on the entire vss project. This allows me to catch and persecute the offenders very quickly.

I am actually thinking of writing a job to automate the generation of the sql scripts and reference vss object model to create the differences report and then email me info. If it is cool, I will post the code.

Andy

Post #23722
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 10:30 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Actually Andy, I found the skeleton for such a project on msdn. When i get back to work, I'll post the link.

btw, how do you get to presecute the offenders? :)

Porkstone, I actually have that setup, I just hate looking through 6 levels of folders in Explorer.

Thanks for the comments.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Post #23723
Posted Tuesday, December 11, 2001 8:59 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, June 12, 2009 3:13 PM
Steve, thanks for the article. I have been looking for a way to track changes and this may just work for us. However I would like a little more info on EXACTLY what you put in each project folder and how you get that information.

For example under the Tables project folder, is that a script for the table itself without any other information like index, FK, ect.

Another example would be if you have a Scripts project with Table Alters as a sub project then what goes here that wouldn't go into the Tables project.

Anyway, it would be great if you could list each project folder with a corresponding example of what you put in there and how you go about creating what you are putting in there.

I think it would be very helpful for those of us who are newer at this.

Thanks for your time and your article.

Post #23724
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse