Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Titles Matter Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:49 AM
I've heard of one place where they were toying with the idea of getting rid of all IT job titles. It was one of those ultimate agile shops where everyone was a "developer".

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1601307
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 2:40 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 8:47 AM
I guess job titles can be useful if they reflect roughly what you do and what level you work at, but in my experience most job titles usually reflect at most one of those two things. In the 38 years when I worked regularly I held at least 32 different job titles, most of which I can remember. But what does for example does "Chief Architect and Head of Program Management for Data Communications and Interworking" (for example) mean? What is a "Principal Technical Officer"? What does "Chief Designer (Applications Division)" do? The level in the hierarch implied by "Section Leader" is sort of clear, sort of unclear, but what technical area is covered and to what degree it is a technical role are not signalled at all by the job title.
When I say I can remember most of the job titles, it means I've forgotten some of them; I haven't forgotten what I did when I held them; most of the ones I've forgotten I only ever saw on memos telling me I'd been appointed to such and such a job, because no-one ever bothered to use those job titles much at all. Sometime job titles changed with the tiniest change in responsabilities, which meant that job title changes came thick and fast in a fast-moving environment.

Tom
Post #1601334
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 2:52 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:28 PM
Regarding the Article, a thought provoking editorial, thanks for writing it.

jboc (8/8/2014)
You must be truthful on your resume but you can define yourself.

Omission is always allowed (and legal) on a resume. For example, my extended resume has a few tricks in it for when I get: "We want your 10 year job history!!" Me: "Um, you're nuts, but fine. Reload your printer and clear some drive space."

For example, one position may list like this:
COMPANY START-END
Title: Database Administrator

Next:
COMPANY2 START-END
Job Overview: SSIS Lead Developer and T-SQL Optimization Expert

Note, there is not a lie there at all. I have simply changed what I'm describing in the same position for clarity. Presentation is everything.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1601335
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 4:33 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Sunday, August 17, 2014 8:22 AM
The article makes a very good point that affects us all. My title is 'retired' DBA. Can I get a raise with that? I never really worried about my title, but I do see the importance. The only title I ever had that I wanted to give up was IT Mgr. After 12 years, I did just that. An interesting thing is that just a couple years ago, my son did the same thing. Now he works online in his office in a small Rocky Mtn town with his dog lying near him. priorities....
Post #1601347
Posted Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:54 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 7:21 AM
When you said to take a few minutes today to search out what others are making for our current title, you really meant when we get home tonight after work. I'd hate to have my boss cTHIS IS CLEARLY SPAM searching the job sites from work.
Post #1602358
Posted Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:15 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:40 AM
David.Poole (8/8/2014)
I've heard of one place where they were toying with the idea of getting rid of all IT job titles. It was one of those ultimate agile shops where everyone was a "developer".

Sounds familiar!

qh

SQL 2K acts like a spoilt child - you need to coax it round with lollipops.
Post #1610426
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse