Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Titles Matter Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:56 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Titles Matter

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1600997
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 2:04 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:58 AM
Working as a freelancer I thought titles would hardly matter but they still do. People like to think in generalised terms and when they glance at your CV/Resume, security badge, LDAP properties etc. they will make assumptions based on what they see. Often Job titles are the very first impressions even before you meet you.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1601066
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 2:07 AM

SSCertifiable

Oh and Andy's career advice regarding learning missing skills associated to the common skill set for a job title you are aiming for is great advice. I have never thought of it in that way on a conscious level but I think I may have done so on some unconscious level.

Gaz

Post #1601067
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 2:27 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 1:14 PM
What does "Technical Lead" say about me, I wonder...

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1601070
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 3:19 AM

SSCertifiable

GilaMonster (8/8/2014)
What does "Technical Lead" say about me, I wonder...

For me this says that you are a technology expert who can guide your peers and advise management. Anything beyond that is detail and would require closer inspection or interaction e.g. those of us who know you here have learnt more about you as will those who read further details in your CV/Resume (albeit from a different point of view).

Of course, to us your posts have said quite a lot

Gaz

Post #1601082
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 4:59 AM
SSCertifiable

Technical Lead isn't a bad title, though I'd like it better if it were Database Technical Lead or SQL Technical Lead. Still, I think most reading the title will get/assume that you knew something!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1601122
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 5:01 AM
SSCertifiable

I've only had one bad title - Delivery Lead. The client knew what it meant, I knew what the client wanted, but no one else on the team understood it. I had to keep explaining that "no, I don't do that" and answering "what is it you do again?". Fun questions for a consultant!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1601123
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 7:09 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:28 AM
Andy Warren (8/8/2014)
I've only had one bad title - Delivery Lead. The client knew what it meant, I knew what the client wanted, but no one else on the team understood it. I had to keep explaining that "no, I don't do that" and answering "what is it you do again?". Fun questions for a consultant!

Let me guess- you were in charge of getting the donuts and pizza for the team?

Seriously though - bad titles really do tend to confuse a lot. We actually have functional titles (which might be the fancier/funkier/more local titles), and HR titles (the more standardized ones used to track down what to pay). Depending on how exotic my functional title has been (or whether it paints an inaccurate picture as to what I did) I will sometimes just revert back to the HR title on my resume.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #1601157
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 7:16 AM

SSCertifiable

Matt Miller (#4) (8/8/2014)
Andy Warren (8/8/2014)

Let me guess- you were in charge of getting the donuts and pizza for the team?

Most important job there is!!! Right? Well, except for buying the first round.

Gaz

Post #1601159
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 7:20 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:11 PM
One company that had a combustion engineering section had a 'Director of Combustion'.

Now that must be really cool on a resume.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #1601161
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse