Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

how to uninstall sql server Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:55 AM
Hi Bob,

After a (hopefully) well - earned weekend away I have completed the "task" of deleting everything related to the previous installations of SQL Server.
A moment ago I have installed Enterprise again and the installation process was without problems.

The reason for this "excercise" was that SSIS wasn't installed.
Apparently now it is, I have made my first project and that seems to work.

I have to do some more testing but for now I am very happy!

May I thank you for your advise, and guidance. It gave me, as a non - dba, enough confidence to do the job.

Hein

Post #1602024
Posted Monday, August 18, 2014 6:47 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 3:26 AM
If you want to treat your windows instance as a scratchpad, installing and uninstalling software multiple times, then do not be surprised if you get unexpected side effects.

If you want to know how SQL Server 2012 will behave on a clean instance of Windows, then always install it on a clean instance of windows. If you want to find if you can get SQL Server to appear to install OK on a server that has had many installs and uninstalls and which may not work in exactly the same was as on a clean install, carry on as you are.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1604423
Posted Monday, August 18, 2014 11:47 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Ed
Thanks for your, somewhat harsch, reply.

The situation that you describe (Scratchpad etc) is just what I wanted to avoid by asking my question.
Just because there are so many SQL Server (related) programs active, I was wondering how to tackle the Uninstall. How to do it right and how to avoid bits and pieces of "old" installs lying around and interfering with a new try.

And because I am extra careful not to damage the system I had, I made, prior to all attempts, a restore point, as well as a systemimage, just to be save.
So I share your concern.

After my thread I have uninstalled and reinstalled SQL Server and so far it all seems to works alright.

Hein
Post #1604607
Posted Monday, August 18, 2014 11:56 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:28 AM
SpeedSkater is describing what I consider to be a bug in MSSQL. If you have installed SQL Express, you cannot install SSIS on the same machine, even to design packages for other servers. Well you can do the installation, but you will not be able to do any SSIS work.

I found this to be inconvenient to me, as I like to have SQL Express installed on my workstation for testing and experimentation with no approval process hoops or risk of breaking something important. The only solution I found was to uninstall SQLExpress, try installing SSIS, and install SQLExpress again. I didn't want to do this, as I find the more uninstalls\installs you do, the more unstable the system becomes. I ran SSIS remotely on server instead.
Post #1604614
Posted Monday, August 18, 2014 12:11 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 12:27 PM
dan-572483 (8/18/2014)
SpeedSkater is describing what I consider to be a bug in MSSQL. If you have installed SQL Express, you cannot install SSIS on the same machine, even to design packages for other servers. Well you can do the installation, but you will not be able to do any SSIS work.

I found this to be inconvenient to me, as I like to have SQL Express installed on my workstation for testing and experimentation with no approval process hoops or risk of breaking something important. The only solution I found was to uninstall SQLExpress, try installing SSIS, and install SQLExpress again. I didn't want to do this, as I find the more uninstalls\installs you do, the more unstable the system becomes. I ran SSIS remotely on server instead.

I have multiple version of express(2008R2,2012,2014) as well as SSIS (2102) and the SSIS data tools project templates(2012) installed on my workstation. I have no trouble designing or executing SSIS packages. I am not sure what kind of trouble you are running against when trying to have SSIS and express on the same workstation.

Bob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to post to get the best help
Post #1604624
Posted Monday, August 18, 2014 12:25 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:28 AM
This issue may be limited just to SQL 2012. I know SQLExpress 2012 was installed first and I had this issue when subsequently installing SSIS from either SQL 2012 Developer or Enterprise media. The OS was Windows 7 32-bit if that makes a difference.

I had another workstation (also Windows 7 32-bit) with SQL 2008 R2 Express and 2008 R2 BIDS/SSIS and everything worked. This was set up a few years earlier and I don't recall the order of installation.
Post #1604633
Posted Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:19 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 3:26 AM
Sorry for the tone of my previous response...

It can be hard to remove all traces of a SQL install, that is why I was suggesting a scratchpad machine if you want to try out SQL installs. Also, not all editions will install on Win 7, you need a server edition of Windows to install SQL Enterprise and BI editions. However, you can get all the features of Enterprise by installing Developer edition.

Your approach of taking a system image is probably the best one for rolling back a SQL install. It will guarantee there are no odd files, registry entries, permissions or accounts left in your system, and should give you a clean base to try another install.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1604786
Posted Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:03 AM
SSC Rookie

No harm done Ed,
I agree with you on many topics.
Because I didn't want for people having to read a very long story I skipped some parts.
Your suggestion on installing SQL Server on a "blank machine" I just what I did, with 1 difference: the test machine is 32-bits, my regular machine is 64.
The tryout gave me enough confidence to go for the installation on the regular computer, and then I ran into SSIS trouble.

With help from Bob (thanks again!) I figured out and did the uninstall,and reinstalled SQL Server.
As far as I can see all works fine, except..

I found on you tube a (very good) tutorial series made by WiseOwl.
Since I am new to SS I started with tutorial 1, SSIS-ing data from SS to Excel.
I have the entire process working, except the last step gives me a hard time: the excel connection and column types in Excel
Trying to find the problem on internet I see that it is a well known problem. so I have some reading to do ...
Hein
Post #1604860
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse