Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Getting It Right First Time. Almost? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 1:16 AM
Jeff Moden (8/5/2014)

From my understanding, it's not actually free. It should be the Developer's Edition and each chair should have a license for it. In quantity, they can be as low as 30 bucks from a good MS authorized dealer.

I investigated this the other day yep Developer editions aren't free but minimal cost - plus you will need to go through an authorised dealer. (At least in the UK) Not sure whether you get things like the Stream insight framework with that either.
Post #1600077
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:07 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:45 PM
Don't forget to count any licences available from MSDN, MPP or Action Pack etc.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1600084
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:35 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 7:16 AM
Gary Varga (8/5/2014) "I don't need to comment my code because I named everything well and used simple well named methods so it is all obvious".

Usually followed by something like "What's wrong with M as a variable name/table alias for the Customer table, it's obvious what it does! It saves typing ... WAH-WAH-WAHHHH"

I'm a DBA.
I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.
Post #1600116
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:48 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:45 PM
andrew gothard (8/6/2014)
Gary Varga (8/5/2014) "I don't need to comment my code because I named everything well and used simple well named methods so it is all obvious".

Usually followed by something like "What's wrong with M as a variable name/table alias for the Customer table, it's obvious what it does! It saves typing ... WAH-WAH-WAHHHH"

I always thought that people used aliases to make things clearer but I cannot believe how many people do it to save a few keystrokes and make it more obscure. Ridonkulous!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1600119
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:53 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 7:16 AM
Jim P. (8/5/2014)
lshanahan (8/5/2014)
I can imagine managers and directors saying, "What? You want another SQL Server license just for testing?"

I've always have gotten the reading from our legal staff that setting up a server for dev or testing was considered legal and free as far as licensing is concerned. But it has to be in a separate domain.

Have they all been wrong?

Not free.
Technically even the Evaluation editions are for that - evaluation, and not testing (whether MS would actually bother to persue you for that might be another point, but that means you're depending on their benevolence).
That's what the DEV editions / msdn platforms are for. Certainly if you're using unpaid for full versions for testing, from everything I've ever been told by Microsoft licencing (see how I copped out there), that would be a breech and they could spank you very hard in the wallet.

I'm a DBA.
I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.
Post #1600124
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 5:58 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 5:20 PM
Here's a place where it would appear that most people still suffer "getting it right the first time".
http://news.msn.com/science-technology/report-russian-hackers-steal-12b-passwords

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1600175
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse