Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Can SSIS 2012 run against SQL 2014 database? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:28 PM
The processes being created are data loads. I do not believe that there is any object manipulation, i.e. table creates, index creates, etc. I am not very familiar with SSIS but I do not think that we are talking about any SMO type tasks.
Post #1597440
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:01 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:38 AM
Koen Verbeeck (7/29/2014)
Grant Fritchey (7/29/2014)
As long as we're talking about straight T-SQL commands, you should be fine. If you start trying to access objects directly through SSIS, you may hit issues. Forward compatibility is not guaranteed like backward compatibility.

How are you going to access objects directly? Through SMO?

No, I'm thinking about the SSIS objects that directly manipulate tables and may not expect certain data types. That sort of thing.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1597645
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:06 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:49 AM
Grant Fritchey (7/30/2014)
As long as we're talking about straight T-SQL commands, you should be fine. If you start trying to access objects directly through SSIS, you may hit issues. Forward compatibility is not guaranteed like backward compatibility.

No, I'm thinking about the SSIS objects that directly manipulate tables and may not expect certain data types. That sort of thing.

Your words are shrouded with mystere and riddles
About which objects are we talking here? As far as I know there are no new data types in SQL 2014.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1597647
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:38 AM

SSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:38 AM
Koen Verbeeck (7/30/2014)

About which objects are we talking here? As far as I know there are no new data types in SQL 2014.

You're buying the next beer.

Not sure what I was thinking of, instead of data types, let's just say objects.

Does it work with in-memory tables if you link to them from 2012? I don't know, but I think it's worth asking.

Again, I never assume forward compatibility and I'm surprised that anyone would just blithely say it's fine. Not without extensive testing.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1597769
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:50 AM

SSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:49 AM
Koen Verbeeck (7/30/2014)

You're buying the next beer.

Not sure what I was thinking of, instead of data types, let's just say objects.

Does it work with in-memory tables if you link to them from 2012? I don't know, but I think it's worth asking.

Again, I never assume forward compatibility and I'm surprised that anyone would just blithely say it's fine. Not without extensive testing.

What? I bought the previous one!
As usual you are (partially) right. I tested it and you can read/write without issues to a clustered columnstore index, but the memory optimized table has one issue: if you want to write against it you have to disable the tablock option in the fast load options of the OLE DB destination.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1597882
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse