Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345

Do you usually go to agencies? Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:20 AM
Offer them an alternative like Skype or Facetime? It gives a face to face feel without all the travel. I have worked with several agencies that have been willing to complete the "pre-screen" interview this way. It still required "hair and makeup" but it is much less time consuming. I have had good luck with a few agencies and others have just been worthless. Good luck!
Post #1597914
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:57 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:03 AM
Sarah Wagner (7/30/2014)
Offer them an alternative like Skype or Facetime? It gives a face to face feel without all the travel. I have worked with several agencies that have been willing to complete the "pre-screen" interview this way. It still required "hair and makeup" but it is much less time consuming. I have had good luck with a few agencies and others have just been worthless. Good luck!

That works, but if it is a local agency the face to face would be better.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1597917
Posted Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:06 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, September 26, 2014 3:00 PM
Back to the topic of dealing with agencies.... I've only worked before as an FTE with benefits. Although I've talked to staffing agencies before, I have taken contracting positions previously.

I was recently presented by an agency for a position at a well-known company. The phone interviews I did with the client went well. When the offer came in, it was for an hourly rate comparable to by last FTE\benefits job, but with no benefits. When I asked for a higher rate to offset the lack of benefits, I was told the rate could not be changed. Due to that and because it would be a rather long commute I decided to pass and sent an email explaining that after careful consideration, I decided the position was not a good fit.

The next day they came back to me offering to reimburse medical, and later, wrote offering me a salary with benefits, which I ignored because I was becoming very uncomfortable with this. I sensed concern and desperation that the well-known client really liked me and now they're unable to deliver.

Is it common in this sector to make the initial offer very lowball and be willing to significantly improve the offer when the confident walks away? Is this a sign of an agency that jerks people around? Does it suggest that the position is a bad working environment that makes it difficult to attract and retain people?

Or did I damage my future prospects by expressing interest in the job and not staying in the negotiation? Did I just dodge a bullet or shoot myself in the foot?
Post #1600834
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345

Permissions Expand / Collapse