Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Restore of db fails Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:40 AM
Markus (7/25/2014)
We restored the db from the NAS backup to the NAS device just fine. I then tried to backup the db to local disk then restore it. The restore failed....

Did you run a CHECKDB on the database when you restored in to the NAS device?

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
Post #1596536
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:17 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:32 AM
I am going to do that next. Right now I am importing all of the data from the NAS based database into a new database on our storage. Once that is complete I will run a CHECKDB.

Post #1597709
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:19 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

I am seeing a few of these making me think there is either corruption or just the internal pointers are off and running an UPDATE USEAGE is in order.

A read of the file 'xxxxxxxxx.mdf' at offset 0x00008b44ff0000 succeeded after failing 1 time(s) with error: incorrect checksum (expected: 0xe3d07596; actual: 0x41d07796). Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This error condition threatens database integrity and must be corrected. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB).

Post #1597711
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:20 AM

Ten Centuries

arnipetursson (7/25/2014)
Have you tried to restore it with replace?
Sounds like the issue might be with the existing database you were trying to restore to.

Yes, tried the REPLACE and also tried to restore it as a new database. Same error no matter what.

Post #1597712
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:36 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:20 PM
The database that they provided, was it enabled for encryption by chance? It is worth checking with the vendor if their database is TDE enabled.

Also worth comparing with them if the database version (down to CU) is exactly the same as yours.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1597724
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:39 AM

Ten Centuries

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)
The database that they provided, was it enabled for encryption by chance? It is worth checking with the vendor if their database is TDE enabled.

Also worth comparing with them if the database version (down to CU) is exactly the same as yours.

I will ask about encryption... I know they are on SQL2008R2 SP2 and we are on SP1.

Post #1597725
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:44 AM

SSCoach

Markus (7/30/2014)
SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

I will ask about encryption... I know they are on SQL2008R2 SP2 and we are on SP1.

Both of those would be issues.

If they are using TDE, you will not be able to restore that backup without the certificate they used to encrypt the database.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Post #1597726
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:47 AM

Ten Centuries

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)
Markus (7/30/2014)
SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

If they are using TDE, you will not be able to restore that backup without the certificate they used to encrypt the database.

I have never had a service pack difference be an issue with restoring a database.

TDE.... Understand... however....

I have successfully restored their backup TO the NAS device... so... makes me think both of these are not factors.

Post #1597727
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:54 AM

SSCoach

Markus (7/30/2014)
SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)
Markus (7/30/2014)
SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

I have never had a service pack difference be an issue with restoring a database.

I have successfully restored their backup TO the NAS device... so... makes me think both of these are not factors.

When you say you restored it to the NAS device, what do you mean? You were able to place the backup file on the NAS device, or you restored the database into a SQL Server instance that accesses the NAS device for storage?

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Post #1597732
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:58 AM

Ten Centuries

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)
Markus (7/30/2014)
SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)
Markus (7/30/2014)
SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

When you say you restored it to the NAS device, what do you mean? You were able to place the backup file on the NAS device, or you restored the database into a SQL Server instance that accesses the NAS device for storage?

Yes. We cannot restore from the NAS backup to our back end storage. I have also tried to take a backup of the NAS live database and restore it to our storage and it fails. That is what is bizzare.

Post #1597734
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse