Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

SQL Alias between client and server Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 6:55 AM
Hi,

I think there might be something wrong with the alias you're creating. In the Add Network Library Configuration page check the following:

Server alias: This is the alias name to the server you're connecting to.
Network libraries: This should most likely be TCP/IP
Connection parameters: Either the network name or the IP-address of your SQL Server. If it's a named instance then it should be servername\instance

There is also option to un-check the "Dynamically determine port". If you're using this, trying un-checking and entering the port that is listening.

One other thing that comes to my mind is that it might be a name resolution problem. You're creating the alias using a name that was previously used by the old DB server. Do you have that entry in the HOST file? I believe it will first check that before doing any other name resolutions and it might mess up your configuration. You could also test this by creating the alias using a dummy name that doesn't exist in your network and see if it works.

Mika Sutinen, Senior DBA
@SQLFinn on Twitter
Blogging at SQLStarters
Post #1596525
Posted Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:25 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:30 AM
MikaS (7/26/2014)
Hi,

I think there might be something wrong with the alias you're creating. In the Add Network Library Configuration page check the following:

Server alias: This is the alias name to the server you're connecting to.
Network libraries: This should most likely be TCP/IP
Connection parameters: Either the network name or the IP-address of your SQL Server. If it's a named instance then it should be servername\instance

There is also option to un-check the "Dynamically determine port". If you're using this, trying un-checking and entering the port that is listening.

One other thing that comes to my mind is that it might be a name resolution problem. You're creating the alias using a name that was previously used by the old DB server. Do you have that entry in the HOST file? I believe it will first check that before doing any other name resolutions and it might mess up your configuration. You could also test this by creating the alias using a dummy name that doesn't exist in your network and see if it works.

Server Alias = Fred -- so its not something that has been used before, by ANY DB Server.
Network libraries is set to use TCP/IP and the port is set to the configured port that the particular instance is listening on - ie not Dynamically determining the port.
The connection parameter is set to hostname\insatnce name.

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
Rock and Roll Detective

Post #1596670
Posted Monday, August 4, 2014 9:43 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:30 AM
For all those who offered advice, thank you. The problem was not SQL or the alias or even setting up the alias, it was the Windows Server itself.

Fortunately it was a test lab so once rebuilt I was able to create the alias with out any issues. However I can not tell you what exactly the problem was.

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
Rock and Roll Detective

Post #1599456
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse