Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Client side automatic reconnect fails after DB failover when SQL Server on non-default ports Expand / Collapse
Author
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:05 AM
This sound logically to me. Good hint. Thank you very much - I need to check this.
Post #1607037
Posted Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:25 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 1:17 PM
"When a SqlConnection is successfully opened, the failover partner name is returned by the server and supersedes any values supplied in the connection string” indicates the failover partner name is returned. This would be the same failover partner name that you use for the Primary/Mirror relationship.

It sounds like in your case you would want to make sure that the application is able to contact the mirror based upon that failover partner name. If you run the query on the primary in the mirror:
select * from sys.database_mirroring

You can see the mirroring_partner_instance will be what is returned and what it is going to connect to. I hope this information helps.
Post #1611878
Posted Monday, September 15, 2014 1:07 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Today @ 1:05 AM
I'm aware of this ... but the application can't connect to the mirror just by its name - when the port information is missing ... and this is in my opinion the root cause. When I failover the database to the secondary server, on the client computer I can see attempts for connections to the secondary server but ON THE DEFAULT SQL TCP PORT 1433 (via TCPView). The "only" question is why aliases and/or default SQL port don't work.
Post #1613556
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse