Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Mudita: Joy in the success of others Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 31, 2014 6:31 AM
I believe in trying to help every programmer be the best they can possibly be - otherwise when I crush them utterly it will be meaningless
Post #1591827
Posted Friday, July 11, 2014 7:06 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:10 PM
Rod:

I want to wish you well in the job search.

I hope you will be as fortunate in the downsizing as I was my last time. Company announced cutbacks and offered an early retirement package with 100% vesting in 401k matched funds. Being an old guy, I took the early out and got my small pension for 10 years service. I was off work just a month when the company called and asked me to come back as a contractor. I asked for a $6k raise with unlimited unpaid time off to travel and enjoy my mountain cabin, and got it all. Worked another three years and was well cared for during that time. I was also fortunate in that I worked for four different companies in the last twenty-eight years and never had to relocate.

May you be as blessed as I was.
Post #1591834
Posted Friday, July 11, 2014 8:16 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 9:29 AM
One thing I learned at a previous employer, because I took the time to hone and advance my skills on my own time, I was able to get my employer to pay for outside training for me. Another co-worker didn't like that idea, but then he expected our employer to train him and keep him relevant.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1591839
Posted Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:06 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:34 AM
skeleton567 (7/11/2014)
Well, don't be surprised too much. What you younger folks are facing is the fact that a company can discover a need for a skill, and instead of training you for a specific project they can get a contract employee for a short period of time. And it is most likely far easier for a manager to get approval for a contractor for a defined period of time than to get a budget for training you for that same project. And of course, they run the risk that if they train you and make you more valuable to someone else you may decide to go to work for them. That's 'management' these days. Short term commitment instead of long term thinking.

So you develop your own skills, get them 'discovered' when the need arises and you show what you can do, and as I have narrated here before, write up your skills and contributions and ask for a meeting with your manager to discuss a raise. You don't have to wait until annual review time. Do it when they remember what you accomplished and you have a list to review.

You may not get the raise immediately like I did, but when review time comes around, you are fresh in their mind and they know you are expecting results.

I never thought of the possibility that managers might hire contractors to do something that requires a skill that no one in house has, rather than training their staff to do the job. How fascinating! And you're probably correct; I bet that's happened, perhaps more than I realize.

Rod
Post #1591944
Posted Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:08 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:34 AM
skeleton567 (7/11/2014)
Rod:

I want to wish you well in the job search.

I hope you will be as fortunate in the downsizing as I was my last time. Company announced cutbacks and offered an early retirement package with 100% vesting in 401k matched funds. Being an old guy, I took the early out and got my small pension for 10 years service. I was off work just a month when the company called and asked me to come back as a contractor. I asked for a $6k raise with unlimited unpaid time off to travel and enjoy my mountain cabin, and got it all. Worked another three years and was well cared for during that time. I was also fortunate in that I worked for four different companies in the last twenty-eight years and never had to relocate.

May you be as blessed as I was.

WOW, how sweat that was!! Now, I know my mileage may vary, but one can always hope.

Rod
Post #1591945
Posted Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:38 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Just saw your ( I think) older post regarding negotiating starting vacation. I also did that on a new job. Told them I was not willing to go back and begin earning vacation from the start as they offered, had to have a full two weeks to start, and work it up from there. Not only got the two week vacation level, but the day I started they credited me with 80 hours of paid vacation I could use the first year. I wish I had learned far earlier that this stuff can be negotiated. How timid I was in those early days. Also have negotiated to get to share in profit sharing and 401k plans from day 1 instead of the normal wait period to enroll.

The profit-sharing and 401k things are probably the most critical benefits you will have in your life. Even now, if you don't have a million is assets, beside social security an/or a pension, it's going to be tough. And Social Security, as we know it, will probably be gone shortly anyway. So be a good scout, and get prepared.
Post #1591946
Posted Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:39 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:40 AM

I never thought of the possibility that managers might hire contractors to do something that requires a skill that no one in house has, rather than training their staff to do the job. How fascinating! And you're probably correct; I bet that's happened, perhaps more than I realize.

Yep. Jump start and company knowledge and implement a new technology but with a brief to educate the in-house team to take over the solution. That way the in-house team have something to learn from and actively support rather than a disconnected training course or having to learn and implement on the fly.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1592014
Posted Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:51 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 9:48 AM
Most Excellent!

I am the result of the work I have done and the contributions of those who invested in me. May I be just as willing to invest in others who will go beyond what I have done and enjoy their success. It is the better life to live!

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1592863
Posted Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:06 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:37 AM
Lynn Pettis (7/11/2014)
One thing I learned at a previous employer, because I took the time to hone and advance my skills on my own time, I was able to get my employer to pay for outside training for me. Another co-worker didn't like that idea, but then he expected our employer to train him and keep him relevant.

It should always be a two way street otherwise one party or the other is demanding too much without reciprocating enough.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1595066
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 11:20 AM
Valued Member

crussell-931424 (8/6/2014)
By hiring people smarter than me, when they succeed I look good too.

I think that also takes more intestinal fortitude than most managers have at their disposal
Post #1600315
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse