Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

CU Failed however SQL Upgraded Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:48 AM
All,

I was updating (CU) a node of an AG, this was an Asnc copy in a different subnet than my production copy. SQL 2012 SP1 EE.

I tried upgrading to 3 different CU's. Each time it showed the database engine failed, however SQL showed the new version, and in the SQL Logs I see the upgrade scripts running.

Error from log
There was an error to lookup cluster resource types. Error: There was a failure to call cluster code from a provider. Exception message: Generic failure . Status code: 4104. Description: .
Error code: 0x86D80018

Any Ideas?
Q
Post #1590336
Posted Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:57 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, August 11, 2014 7:53 AM
Seems to be a cluster problem.
Check this : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/wpapps/en-US/ae7008a9-0b42-4a5c-a8c3-3446281733fe/add-node-failure-on-sql-2012-failover-cluster
Post #1590501
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2014 5:59 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:48 AM
thanks for the reply. I dont think this is related.

Any other ideas?
Post #1590690
Posted Friday, July 11, 2014 10:59 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:25 AM
Steve Q-426954 (7/8/2014)
All,

I was updating (CU) a node of an AG, this was an Asnc copy in a different subnet than my production copy. SQL 2012 SP1 EE.

I tried upgrading to 3 different CU's. Each time it showed the database engine failed, however SQL showed the new version, and in the SQL Logs I see the upgrade scripts running.

Error from log
There was an error to lookup cluster resource types. Error: There was a failure to call cluster code from a provider. Exception message: Generic failure . Status code: 4104. Description: .
Error code: 0x86D80018

Any Ideas?
Q

Maybe a DLL was not properly updated on one of the nodes?

Did you check all your AG and ensure you can fail-over to any of them? Check MS-SQL version once you moved to any of them.
Post #1591736
Posted Friday, July 11, 2014 3:23 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:55 AM
Let me guess ... the CU ran for longer than normal.

If this is the case look at the SQL errorlog and you will see a series of messages in the log indicating that so-and-so could not connect because the SQL Server was in 'single user' mode.

We recently ran into this situation when applying a CU to a normal SQL Server. We had to stop the SCOM and SEP services - they were connecting into the SQL instance when the CU process was trying to get in and execute scripts in the master database while the engine was in 'single user' mode.

SCOM and SEP may not be the only services, maybe 'Always On' is shooting you down as well.

Take heart though, once you find the culprit and terminate their access the CU will update normally.

Regards
Rudy Komacsar
Senior Database Administrator

"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."
Post #1591817
Posted Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:21 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, August 11, 2014 7:53 AM
Check section Upgrading to a SQL Server 2012 Multi-Subnet Failover Cluster at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191295(v=sql.110).aspx
Post #1591842
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse