Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

All the People Smarter than Me - Editorial Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 10:17 AM
I kind of glossed over the title, but thanks Brent for pointing it out...

I am NOT smarter than... oh, just about anyone. I've just been around long enough to have done a ton of stuff and made as many mistakes as possible (not intentionally, refer back to that not smarter thing) so I've had the opportunity to learn a couple of things. But it's not being smarter. I know WAY too many truly smart people to even consider putting myself into that category. I'm just experienced (or, as my kids would have it, old).

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1588008
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:31 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 12:44 PM
I'll definitely echo Sarah's thanks to the contributors in the community . I barely knew anything beyond the basics of SQL when I graduated from college and landed my first programming/DBA job, but thanks to SSC, I feel like I'm at least passably competent these days . Many thanks to the frequent contributors here for all the help they provide! If I'm not asking a question about the latest coding blunder I've seen or made, I'm happily chewing on a thread or two to learn new methods and test them out.

Now to return to my thread-grazing for the day

-
Post #1588020
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:43 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 10:01 AM
Andrew Kernodle (7/1/2014)
...I feel like I'm at least passably competent these days...

SSC puts each of us in our place often enough that we know how much we don't know - pity the fools who think themselves experts ;-P

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1588031
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:41 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 9:06 AM
I was also at that SQL Saturday and was really excited to see "the pros" in person. Hearing Ozar, Fritchey, and Machanic (and all the other great teachers) teach me personally was a shot of excitement - I think I was walking around with a big dumb grin on my face the entire day! Also, Clash of the Row Goals was incredibly helpful - I wanted to give Adam Machanic a bear hug just for teaching me such wizardry.

I consider myself very blessed to be a DBA, and I know much of my success is due to the great system we have for sharing knowledge, and the people who take the time to share it.
Post #1588069
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:50 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:17 AM
david.gugg (7/1/2014)
Hearing Ozar, Fritchey, and Machanic (and all the other great teachers) teach me personally was a shot of excitement - I think I was walking around with a big dumb grin on my face the entire day!

What's funny is that it never gets old. I still get excited to sit in their sessions, and I've seen Grant and Adam maybe 4-5 times. Wish I could see 'em more often, but the scheduling gods always make it tough.

Post #1588074
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 9:18 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 10:30 AM
Thank you Sarah for motivating me to get back into the mode of, at the very least, reviewing the current forum topics referenced in the daily email. I used to do that regularly and without a doubt, my knowledge increased as a result. I had a wonderful DBA mentor when I started out as a developer and after he left to go on to bigger and better things, it was SQL Server Central that filled the vacancy. The first reply you got was from the one I'm in awe of - Jeff Moden. Now off to check out the latest forum posts!!
Post #1588083
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 9:21 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 9:08 AM
I guess I just consider myself lucky to have had a great boss that pushed training into our laps. He always said you should be spending at least a couple of hours a week reading articles, learning something new.

You're fortunate in that regard, yes; but give yourself a pat on the back as well, for having the desire and willingness to learn. I see far too many people in IT - and not just DBAs - who seem all too happy to just sit on whatever knowledge they acquired years (even decades) ago. They never learn anything new, and become a drag on those who do.

How this kind of people - and their IT shops - manage to survive is a mystery to me.
Post #1588085
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 10:24 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 10:01 AM
GoofyGuy (7/1/2014)
...I see far too many people in IT - and not just DBAs - who seem all too happy to just sit on whatever knowledge they acquired years (even decades) ago. They never learn anything new, and become a drag on those who do.

How this kind of people - and their IT shops - manage to survive is a mystery to me.

The ones that really shock me are the people who attempt to derail others who are trying to improve themselves, alleviate team issues as well as improve efficiency and responsiveness to business needs.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1588120
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 10:39 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 9:38 AM
I fully understand where the author is coming from. The IT department where I work recently did SWOT analysis and both the infrastructure group and development group had me in their strength quadrant being a good DBA. I always feel like I'm standing on the shoulders of giants as I'm mainly applying things I've learned here and in other blogs/articles/sessions. I do bring some talents and skills to my job, but without the knowledge of others I've gained along the way I wouldn't be able to achieve the high quality of work that I do in as efficient a manner as I do.
Post #1588132
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 10:46 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 9:08 AM

The ones that really shock me are the people who attempt to derail others who are trying to improve themselves, alleviate team issues as well as improve efficiency and responsiveness to business needs.

Indeed. They remind me of lobsters in a pot. The moment one with sense enough tries to escape, the others reach up with their claws to drag it back in.

And we know what fate awaits them all.
Post #1588140
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse