Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Thrown into SQL position Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 9:49 AM
I am not against differentials and implementing it into our dr plan. I am prepared to restore that many files, at least until I can find or build a script that will run through each file.
Post #1586504
Posted Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:31 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:42 PM
Factory909 (6/26/2014)
I am not against differentials and implementing it into our dr plan. I am prepared to restore that many files, at least until I can find or build a script that will run through each file.

Since the restores of the log files are fairly simple and mostly auto-magic, I have to admit that I just don't bother with differentials and wouldn't even if my T-Log backups were every 5 minutes.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1586523
Posted Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:36 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 10:04 AM
I actually don't use them either, but I thought it might be useful to mention it while the OP is considering options.
Post #1586527
Posted Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:59 PM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:40 PM
Beatrix Kiddo (6/26/2014)
One more thing to consider is that if you're taking log backups every 30 minutes, and if you wanted to do a point-in-time restore to 17.15, say, and your last full backup was at midnight (for example) you would have to restore quite a lot of files;

-- snip --

Are you comfortable having to restore that many files if you have to? It's good if you are, but one alternative consideration might be to take a differential backup at, say, 12 noon, and then if you wanted to restore to 17.15, you'd only have to restore;

-- snip --

which is still a lot of files, but a bit more manageable.

(Sorry if I'm stating the obvious and you already know this!)

I believe using SSMS will automate all this if the file locations haven't changed from when they were backed-up. Alternatively a query could be written easily enough using msdb.dbo.backupset and msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily to build a Restore script from the last Full Backup to restore it along with all Diff and Log files. Now if your database server is unavailable this isn't an option, but in a DR situation where the System databases were restored MSDB could be queried to get this information given the backups were made available via network or cloud share. This is one scenario we test anyway.

Sam
Post #1586671
Posted Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:15 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 9:49 AM
That brings me to my next question. Should I be backing up my system db's as well?
Post #1586674
Posted Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:19 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:54 PM
Yes.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1586676
Posted Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:21 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:54 PM
Also, instead of maintenance plans you may want to check out something like this:

http://ola.hallengren.com/

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1586677
Posted Friday, June 27, 2014 9:47 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 10:04 AM
Factory909 (6/26/2014)
That brings me to my next question. Should I be backing up my system db's as well?

Definitely!
Post #1586938
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse