Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Job wasn't as described Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:15 AM
Need some advice.

The job description was for a senior level dba which I am. But when I showed up all they want me doing is moving databases from one server to another and migrating logins.

I am going to have a talk with my manager tomorrow saying this is not an effective use of my time or their resources.

They have people with less than 1 year experience trying to architect solutions that are second nature to me (or any other senior DbA/Developer).

Anyone ever had an experience where the job was not at all what was described? How did that turn out?
Post #1584038
Posted Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:28 PM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:43 PM
I've been given more responsibility than what was in the job description, but never less. I'm only speculating here, but perhaps this is a test - maybe they want to give you some simple stuff to see if you can handle it and get work done at the same time. Then comes something with a bit more substance to it, then more, etc. Maybe they want you to prove yourself along the way before they give you sysadmin and the responsibilities that go along with it.

Then again, I could be completely off base here and they intend to stick you with the grunt work forever. I would definitely talk to your manager about it, but as you go into that conversation, be open to the possibility that they could be proceeding from a cautionary stance.

My 2 cents.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1584050
Posted Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:36 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Possibly, but the more I talk to the people on the team I think it was a misunderstanding/miscommunication.

During the morning meeting with a few of the other DBA's I pretty much architected out the entire solution on the whiteboard for them since they were stuck at the beginning of it.

Not really looking forward to the discussion, but I've scheduled it for tomorrow morning. Thing is this was a decent pay raise, so I could just sit and collect the money but I really prefer to be challenged not bored at work.
Post #1584051
Posted Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:19 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:13 PM
Chord77 (6/19/2014)
Possibly, but the more I talk to the people on the team I think it was a misunderstanding/miscommunication.

During the morning meeting with a few of the other DBA's I pretty much architected out the entire solution on the whiteboard for them since they were stuck at the beginning of it.

Not really looking forward to the discussion, but I've scheduled it for tomorrow morning. Thing is this was a decent pay raise, so I could just sit and collect the money but I really prefer to be challenged not bored at work.

I would suggest being careful how you word things in this discussion. You don't want to come off as arrogant and that you feel your talents are being wasted on such trivial things. This is a slippery slope to walk on. I understand wanting to be challenged but if you come out and say you are better than your position it may sour the milk.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1584057
Posted Friday, June 20, 2014 3:06 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:58 AM
How long have you been in the role? Maybe they're trying to get you used to their environment for a few months?
Post #1584246
Posted Friday, June 20, 2014 6:22 AM
SSC Rookie

Agreed that is the challenge.

My mgr called out today so now it's just giving me more time to think on how to approach the topic.
Post #1584325
Posted Friday, June 20, 2014 6:24 AM
SSC Rookie

Beatrix Kiddo (6/20/2014)
How long have you been in the role? Maybe they're trying to get you used to their environment for a few months?

That was my initial thought.

But then just this morning I was asked by a team lead, "have you ever installed SQL server?"

(umm...more times than I can count throughout my career....<Internal Thought>)

I think there has been a miscommunication between the hiring manager and the manager I report to.
Post #1584326
Posted Friday, June 20, 2014 6:33 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

And your job title is Senior DBA? That must be very dispiriting.

No need to go into detail, but would you say the salary is about what you'd expect a Senior DBA to be earning?

Post #1584328
Posted Friday, June 20, 2014 9:38 AM
SSC Rookie

Beatrix Kiddo (6/20/2014)
And your job title is Senior DBA? That must be very dispiriting.

No need to go into detail, but would you say the salary is about what you'd expect a Senior DBA to be earning?

I believe it is from my research.
Post #1584416
Posted Friday, June 20, 2014 9:45 AM
SSC-Addicted

Wow, that's very weird. Are you still in touch with the recruiter?
Post #1584419
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse