Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Junk/SPAM Posts Overwhelming Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:13 PM
Thanks Melanie. I imagine it is painful when this amount of spam infiltrates.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1583924
Posted Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:05 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:52 PM
, we aren’t going to stop people from signing up to the site and the forums,

Then you are trying to solve this problem with one of the most effective and simple solutions available. No matter how complex the logic you build to prevent/automatically delete unwanted spam posts you are essentially GUARANTEED to a) miss some fraction of unwanted posts and b) delete some fraction of false-positive valid posts.

I wish you all the luck with whatever approach(es) you wind up taking, but it seems to me that you are constraining yourselves to REACTING instead of being PROACTIVE. Putting a simple, easy verification in front of each new user is a TRIVIAL amount of effort for each new user to take care of while providing benefits for ALL of us, including your staff that currently have to wade through the posts each day to remove unwanted ones. It seems intuitive that such systems are effective given how many sites have moved to implement such initiatives.

UPDATE: I read the post to say "not going to stop UNWANTED people from signing up" - i.e. a better form of new-user verification than is currently being used.

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1583945
Posted Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:05 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:55 AM
I've got to say, the amount of spam posts is making the site nearly unusable for me;
I used to be a more prolific poster, but it's just too discouraging to sift through the "real" posts sometimes, and i shrug my shoulders and spend less time here than I used to.

I would suggest adding a quick feature to delete posts for users in a certain access group,and to recruit some of the more active posters here to help police and prune the posts until a better solution is created.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1605154
Posted Tuesday, August 19, 2014 3:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, October 3, 2014 2:23 AM
Just some ideas:
Limit the number of forum posts to one or two per day, especially new topics, for a while, say a couple of weeks, after they sign up.
Automatically flag any posting by a new member that has a URL in it.
Automatically flag any posting by a new member that has certain key words in it, like "soccer" or "TV", especially in the title.
Limit new users from posting more than a couple of posts per day until they can successfully answer a number of randomly selected Questions of the Day.

Post #1605204
Posted Tuesday, August 19, 2014 3:29 PM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:04 PM
Michael Valentine Jones (8/19/2014)
Just some ideas:
Limit the number of forum posts to one or two per day, especially new topics, for a while, say a couple of weeks, after they sign up.
Automatically flag any posting by a new member that has a URL in it.
Automatically flag any posting by a new member that has certain key words in it, like "soccer" or "TV", especially in the title.
Limit new users from posting more than a couple of posts per day until they can successfully answer a number of randomly selected Questions of the Day.

One of the problems with this logic is that if spammers can't create new posts, they'll post their spam in existing posts. This might be worse.

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.
Post #1605207
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:41 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

I still don't understand why there was pushback from the website devs over the obvious solution of some form of Turing Test (with Captcha or it's derivatives being the most common form). I suppose some dedicated spammers will still manually create logins and then quickly flagging/deleting their posts and disabling the logins will be the main line of attack. But the VAST majority of spam posts are undoubtedly from new logins created automatically. If they have a backlog of logins accumulated then again we will just have to find and disable them as they become activated.

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1605436
Posted Sunday, September 21, 2014 7:51 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 1:49 AM
Spamming has definitely reached new heights, forums are fobar, points and threads dropping like flies, something must be done to stop this. First thought is that no one ever posts more than one valid new topic on a thread at this frequency.
Post #1617776
Posted Sunday, September 21, 2014 12:43 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

I don't think there's a programmable solution out there that will prevent spammers without affecting the "standard users" (captcha would belong to that kind of solutions). The majority of the current spam include links as well as keywords like TV or soccer. But reacting to that doesn't help in the long run. The next attack could include other keywords and no links. To automatically limit the number of posts per user might not help either, since thoses folks create numerous logins on the fly.

From my point of view the most efficient solution (until anything better is developed) is to involve the community. Similar to what we do right now, bu without the additional manual step from SSC staff.

As discussed before in "The Thread" I recommend to give permission to some of the regulars (either based on points or on any other rule SSC is comfortable with) to "flag" a post and/or user. Flagged post will be hidden until either deleted or "un-flagged" by SSC staff.

But the current situation has to change with highest priority. SSC is under attack!!

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
Post #1617952
Posted Sunday, September 21, 2014 4:02 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

I'm not sure why you think Captcha or similar won't help/stop the attacks. Unless someone has come up with a way for the images to be properly recognized, that is.

1) Force EVERY EXISTING USER to do a Captcha ONCE on the next login, then allow them to login and post as usual from that point forward. Give users a message as to why this action is being required once.

2) Force every NEWLY CREATED USER to do a Captcha before said user is actually created.

Would this not be workable?

As it is, SSC.com is being relegated to non-functionality and it won't take long for users to abandon it in droves (if that hasn't already happened).

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1618054
Posted Sunday, September 21, 2014 4:41 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

TheSQLGuru (9/21/2014)
I'm not sure why you think Captcha or similar won't help/stop the attacks. Unless someone has come up with a way for the images to be properly recognized, that is.

1) Force EVERY EXISTING USER to do a Captcha ONCE on the next login, then allow them to login and post as usual from that point forward. Give users a message as to why this action is being required once.

2) Force every NEWLY CREATED USER to do a Captcha before said user is actually created.

Would this not be workable?

As it is, SSC.com is being relegated to non-functionality and it won't take long for users to abandon it in droves (if that hasn't already happened).

Regarding captcha recognition, a google search for "captcha recognition tool" returend more links than I expected...
For the one-time solution there's a "hole": how about a user answer the captcha and then starts to send spam? For such a scenario, it doesn't matter if it's applied only to new users or to all listed users: neither approach would prevent using the login as a spam source starting after answering the captcha (programmatically or manually)...

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
Post #1618059
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse