Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Kitchen Duty Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:31 AM
Gary Varga (6/16/2014)
I was once on a team where each of use would take turns getting a round of drinks in (zero cost i.e. free tea, coffee, water etc.). Some would get it more often than others but this tended to be a natural balance as those of us who got it more where the ones who drank more. There was one exception. One chap thought that it was beneath him to get drinks. After a couple of months of trying to cajole him into just getting one round in I realised that it was winding me up. So I stopped asking if he wanted one. When asked I explained to him that I felt it was unfair, it was winding me up and if he wasn't prepared to occasionally get a round in then I wouldn't get him one so that it no longer bothered me. He called me "petty". I didn't care.

Another one for stringing up as above!
Post #1581071
Posted Monday, June 16, 2014 5:40 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 4:50 AM
I was once on a team where each of use would take turns getting a round of drinks in (zero cost i.e. free tea, coffee, water etc.). Some would get it more often than others but this tended to be a natural balance as those of us who got it more where the ones who drank more. There was one exception. One chap thought that it was beneath him to get drinks. After a couple of months of trying to cajole him into just getting one round in I realised that it was winding me up. So I stopped asking if he wanted one. When asked I explained to him that I felt it was unfair, it was winding me up and if he wasn't prepared to occasionally get a round in then I wouldn't get him one so that it no longer bothered me. He called me "petty". I didn't care.

The brewing up situation used to be more political than a United Nations meeting. I quickly decided that the easiest thing to do was stay out of the whole team rounds and just get myself a drink as and when I wanted one. I didn't expect anybody else to make a drink for me either. I'd watch other members of the team go a whole day without a drink because it wasn't their turn and they were waiting for somebody else to do it.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher
Post #1581073
Posted Monday, June 16, 2014 6:16 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 4:58 AM
Where I work we have cleaners who come round several times a day to clear up and put the dishwasher on. Many people here (including me) can be trusted to clear up our mess and put our mugs in the dishwasher, but many more clearly think it's beneath them, and they leave the kitchens in a horrible state for the cleaners. It's embarrassing.

I do hate tea and coffee rounds though. I like to get my own when I want it, so I prefer not to participate. Fortunately the rest of my team feels the same way. (I'd never accept a drink in a round if I wasn't going to take my turn getting them.) I have worked in awful offices where despite me never accepting a drink in a round, they still expected me to "do my fair share" and get the drinks in for everybody else. I hated that. I could understand it if I'd been happily accepting cups of tea from them, but I hadn't so it just felt like bullying.

I'd watch other members of the team go a whole day without a drink because it wasn't their turn and they were waiting for somebody else to do it.

Yeah, the place I mentioned was like that; it was pathetic.
Post #1581084
Posted Monday, June 16, 2014 6:16 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 4:58 AM
[sorry]
Post #1581085
Posted Monday, June 16, 2014 6:17 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:49 AM
It's just like rounds at the bar: it is great when you don't bother count as some days you are surprised how little money you have left in your wallet and other days surprised by how much. The best teams that I have worked with know who needs a break, who needs to stay at the keyboard, who has got the slack and it is the mature and friendly team that act accordingly.

I find that brewing politics only reflects team politics anyway

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1581087
Posted Monday, June 16, 2014 6:34 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 10:03 AM
I don't mind pitching in as part of a team effort for keeping things generally clean around the work place. However, when you consider the hourly cost of a group of IT professionals wiping down countertops and cleaning sinks compared to a cleaning crew, it would seem more cost effective to leave the IT team to doing IT and pay the cleaning crew to clean. But every place is different. I have worked in very large corporations and much smaller ones and the medium sized one I am in now expects everyone in IT to take their office trash cans out to the dumpster every week and empty them themselves. So that is what I do, when in Rome, after all...
Post #1581091
Posted Monday, June 16, 2014 6:36 AM
Ten Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 4:50 AM
Gary Varga (6/16/2014)
It's just like rounds at the bar: it is great when you don't bother count as some days you are surprised how little money you have left in your wallet and other days surprised by how much. The best teams that I have worked with know who needs a break, who needs to stay at the keyboard, who has got the slack and it is the mature and friendly team that act accordingly.

The main difference between tea and coffee rounds and rounds at the bar is that after a certain amount of tea I don't feel the urge to brew up for everybody I'm talking to, throw pound after pound into dubious machines with flashing lights on them then buy a kebab on the way home

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher
Post #1581093
Posted Monday, June 16, 2014 6:37 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

It appears that there is almost a general consensus: if you accept drinks you should return the favour, if you do not then you are self-reliant and excluding oneself. Either one is in or one is out.

Neither of these options is problematic to me.

Gaz

Post #1581095
Posted Monday, June 16, 2014 6:38 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 7:13 AM
I must admit consider it a bad character flaw if people don't take their round at the bar.

Its a matter of pride and honour as much as anything else.
Post #1581096
Posted Monday, June 16, 2014 6:38 AM

SSCertifiable

BWFC (6/16/2014)
Gary Varga (6/16/2014)

The main difference between tea and coffee rounds and rounds at the bar is that after a certain amount of tea I don't feel the urge to brew up for everybody I'm talking to, throw pound after pound into dubious machines with flashing lights on them then buy a kebab on the way home

I was with you until the kebab...I'm the one who says to his mates that he is going around the corner to get a dubious burger instead

Gaz

Post #1581097
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse