Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Space Hoarders Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 7:03 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Space Hoarders

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1578588
Posted Monday, June 9, 2014 2:13 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 9:07 AM
I think that developers who also do SQL Server development need to shoulder their portion of responsibility for this. Inadequate knowledge, poor implementation (even when we know better) and considering space to be someone else's problem are a few of the reasons why developers do not make it easier for DBAs. On top of that, those directly accessing tables instead of views and stored procedures restrict the options available to DBAs to refine the database.

I am a developer.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1578721
Posted Tuesday, June 10, 2014 1:25 AM

SSCertifiable

I have to say Andy that I was expecting a bit more of a response. You make the effort in writing an editorial just for me to have a discussion with myself

Gaz

Post #1579070
Posted Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:47 AM
SSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 7:03 AM
Gary, I'm with you on the surprise. I think was an interesting topic and fun too. Maybe too cute with the name, or maybe yesterday everyone was busy?

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1579160
Posted Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:00 AM

SSCertifiable

I agree. I thought it would lead to bizarre ramblings, outrageous comments and dogfights galore. Instead you got one comment from someone who isn't even a DBA. Go figure!!!

Gaz

Post #1579165
Posted Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:13 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

I had a conversation just last week with a client that said DBAs are hoarders. My response to him was along the very same lines as Andy laid out in this article. Now, I'm gonna send him this article to show him it's not just me saying that.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1579173
Posted Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:14 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 8:53 AM
Or maybe the DBAs looking at the editorial agree so completely that there's nothing more to say. I myself sometimes wonder if the SAN administrators get a bonus for not using the space they have. I just finished up a negotiation for space on a new SAN for my daily backups and believe me...it was a negotiation. I heard that SAN space is expensive, everyone else wants space too, etc., etc. Well, I got what I got and we all know I'll have to go back and ask for more in one or two quarters, but it is what it is. I honest believe that corporate database backups just might be slightly more important that a zillion duplicate spreadsheets stored in 3 different network locations.

While I completely agree that we do need to be judicious with how we use the space we've been give, SAN administrators also need to understand the point you made about us not dictating the space requirements. The databases sizes (which we try to keep under control), the backup policies, retention policies and corporate workload (translates into number of databases) dictate the store requirements. We don't control the space, but when we need it, we need it. In the end, we're all supposed to be on the same team and work together so things run smoothly.

Good editorial, Andy. I'm going to use it the next time I have to negotiate space, which probably isn't that far off.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1579174
Posted Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:04 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 6:35 AM
Ed Wagner (6/10/2014)
Or maybe the DBAs looking at the editorial agree so completely that there's nothing more to say.

Yep!

I myself sometimes wonder if the SAN administrators get a bonus for not using the space they have.

Agreed.
Post #1579296
Posted Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:04 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 6:35 AM
[dup]
Post #1579297
Posted Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:12 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 9:11 AM
In my travels as a contractor/freelance DBA I have lost count of the times I have tried to explain to a SAN/Storage admin that databases GROW, some faster than others and it is always good practice to let a database grow without having space/storage constraints put upon it.

SAN admins (thankfully not all I have worked with) like to think that is "a waste of space".

qh

SQL 2K acts like a spoilt child - you need to coax it round with lollipops.
Post #1593160
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse