Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234

Interview Questions Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:08 PM
thomashohner (6/6/2014)
kimberly_lehman (6/6/2014)
Ask "Using T-SQL, how do you get the current date and time"?

So would you consider this a valid answer? "I think it's CURRENT TIMESTAMP but if I was blanking on it I'd google it to be sure."

I've worked with so many language that sometimes I mix them up, so I often google things even if I know them. And sometimes even when I "know" something, a quick search reminds me of something I forgot. IMO, knowing how to find the information you need is just as valuable as already knowing it. And double checking yourself is a good skill too. If you've never forgotten a simple piece of syntax, then you never had a baby who didn't sleep through the night.

I believe GETDATE() is specific to T-SQL and CURRENT_TIMESTAMP is ANSI SQL function.

I think still learning

Now, that's the kind of answer that I'd expect from someone applying for a Senior position. I'd also expect them to just automatically cough up some extra info about UTC dates and times, etc. If they just say "GETDATE()" or just "CURRENT_TIMESTAMP", then they're probably not at the level I'm looking for for a Senior SQL Developer or a Senior DBA. Either is fine for a front-end developer position but they'd better know one of the two for a Senior front-end position that requires "some knowledge of SQL".

Like I said, you can tell a whole lot by asking questions at the start.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1578526
Posted Monday, June 9, 2014 9:41 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:38 AM
Jeff Moden (6/6/2014)
ChrisM@Work (6/6/2014)
julian.fletcher (6/6/2014)
.. I should have said that we're looking for developers to work on all parts of a particular product; both the C# and the SQL. We're not big enough to be able to have separate teams for each...

Shame...I'm nice, I work bl00dy hard, I'm available in two weeks and I'm 25 minutes from Oxford

And bloody damned good at SQL, to boot!

I'm not ashamed to admit that last week was tough. We lost our mognificent rescue cat Ziggy last Monday night to a diversion which increased traffic on our street about 20-fold for a whole month. Damn, two hours after we lost him, the main road was reopened. This statement from you Jeff, and knowing how much you like your moggies too, absolutely made my day. Thank you.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1578887
Posted Monday, June 9, 2014 2:21 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 11:08 PM
ChrisM@Work (6/9/2014)
Jeff Moden (6/6/2014)
ChrisM@Work (6/6/2014)
julian.fletcher (6/6/2014)
.. I should have said that we're looking for developers to work on all parts of a particular product; both the C# and the SQL. We're not big enough to be able to have separate teams for each...

Shame...I'm nice, I work bl00dy hard, I'm available in two weeks and I'm 25 minutes from Oxford

And bloody damned good at SQL, to boot!

I'm not ashamed to admit that last week was tough. We lost our mognificent rescue cat Ziggy last Monday night to a diversion which increased traffic on our street about 20-fold for a whole month. Damn, two hours after we lost him, the main road was reopened. This statement from you Jeff, and knowing how much you like your moggies too, absolutely made my day. Thank you.

Guh! I'm so sorry to hear about that, Chris. We lost 4 almost one right after the other. Two finally succumbed to FIP (it happens a lot with moggies at about 3-4 years of age) and two to the rigors of old age (both more than 16 years old). Had to put all 4 down in a period of about 6 weeks. Debbie was a train wreck of emotion and I had to play the part of an anchor for her. One of them was an absolute favorite of mine so I definitely understand the pain of losing Ziggy.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1578973
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234

Permissions Expand / Collapse