Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Temp table limitations Expand / Collapse
Author

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:42 AM
Good question... the pick 2 made it easy though... I knew they could have constraints and indexes because I've had to put them on them before.

Which only left the other two... :)

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #1574083
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 9:19 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:47 AM
Nice easy question. I was quite surprised to see that more than twice as many thought constraints were not allowed as thought indexes were not allowed, and also quite surprised that 30% got it wrong although. Maybe people don't much use temp tables?

Tom
Post #1574089
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 10:54 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 5:31 PM
I disagree that this is an easy question. There may be two obviously correct options but there is a third option that is correct.

Temp tables can be partitioned. With three correct answers and the question requesting a pick 2, it makes it hard to decided which 2 of 3 to pick.

Here is a rundown of the three options that are correct.
http://bit.ly/1kb7zz7

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1574151
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 11:06 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 5:36 AM
SQLRNNR (5/23/2014)
I disagree that this is an easy question. There may be two obviously correct options but there is a third option that is correct.

Temp tables can be partitioned. With three correct answers and the question requesting a pick 2, it makes it hard to decided which 2 of 3 to pick.

Points go for you! Bravo.
:)

Igor Micev,
SQL Server developer at Seavus
www.seavus.com
Post #1574154
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 11:09 AM

SSCoach

Igor Micev (5/23/2014)
SQLRNNR (5/23/2014)

Points go for you! Bravo.
:)

Thanks Igor

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Post #1574159
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 11:20 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 10:33 AM
SQLRNNR (5/23/2014)

This is really awesome, sql wise. Thank you for the link.

(actually the correct people are wrong and some selected wrong people are actually right)

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Post #1574160
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 11:25 AM

SSCoach

Raghavendra Mudugal (5/23/2014)
SQLRNNR (5/23/2014)

This is really awesome, sql wise. Thank you for the link.

You're welcome.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Post #1574163
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 12:56 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:47 AM
SQLRNNR (5/23/2014)

Wow. I'm surprised. I can't imagine what I would use it for, but it seems eminently reasonable for the feature to be available even tough until now I believed it wasn't.

Tom
Post #1574208
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 12:57 PM

SSCoach

TomThomson (5/23/2014)
SQLRNNR (5/23/2014)

Wow. I'm surprised. I can't imagine what I would use it for, but it seems eminently reasonable for the feature to be available even tough until now I believed it wasn't.

Yeah it is kinda hard to figure out a possible use-case. But it is kinda cool and fun to play with at least.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Post #1574210
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 2:33 PM

Hall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 10:21 AM
SQLRNNR (5/23/2014)
TomThomson (5/23/2014)
SQLRNNR (5/23/2014)

Yeah it is kinda hard to figure out a possible use-case. But it is kinda cool and fun to play with at least.

Very nice post Jason. That script clearly demonstrates partitioning on a temp table. Saved that link to my favorites!

I've been trying to think of why you would ever need to partition a temp table for the past few minutes....Nope. I have no idea why that would be useful.
Post #1574237
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse