Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345

Should We Move to Azure? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:34 AM
Just this week I registered a domain for myself. I've not registered any domain in several years, so it was a re-learning experience. Anyway, once I registered the domain than I had to think of where to host it. I did look at Azure, but felt that it was way too expensive for an individual. However, for a site like SQL Server Central, which must have at least hundreds of thousands, if not a million users, I think Azure makes sense. I'd say go for it.

Rod
Post #1574344
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:17 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 2:47 PM
Just to add some motivational fuel:

If RedGate can't use, admin and monitor Azure, what chance do us mere mortals have?

Post #1574746
Posted Monday, June 2, 2014 4:38 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 6:03 AM
At the very least you should look at what is needed to make a cloud migration successful for you.

I was part of the team that moved my employers systems to AWS as an IaaS move in 2012. Back then AWS was the only reasonable host for an operation of our scale, but this is no longer the case. For our move we installed SQL on to AWS servers using our own licenses, but this was always regarded as a stepping stone towards DB as a Service, and we are now starting this move.

Part of our planning covered email, as we send a few million emails each day. AWS SES looked too costly, so eventually we chose PowerMTA to do the email send, and hired PostMastery to manage the email reputation issues.

All hosting options have costs, risks, and opportunities. Different costs, risks and opportunities apply to wholly-owned, co-lo, hybrid cloud and dedicated cloud. Doing nothing is never cost and risk free, and will limit your opportunities compared to one of the other options. Part of the job of IT is to align the costs, risks and opportunities with what will best help the business to succeed.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 18 October 2014: now over 31,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1576507
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345

Permissions Expand / Collapse