Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Should We Move to Azure? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, November 23, 2014 2:48 PM
SQL Server Azure offers scalability when it comes to storage, memory, and CPU, but I'm guessing that this website really isn't that massive and it grows over time in a predictable way. I'm guessing that your biggest concern should be how moving your websute and databases to the cloud would impact accessibility and latency. Latency; that's probably the game changer.
Post #1574086
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 9:41 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 10:25 AM
I would be interested in seeing the real world comparison of the differences in (a) operating costs, and (b) ease of maintenance, between the in house server vs cloud.

But while I see it as an interesting exercise, I don't (yet) see a compelling argument for either hosting it on the cloud or keeping it on your own server.

Post #1574111
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 9:47 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, November 13, 2014 1:27 PM
"Or is SQLServerCentral just a service and you don't care how it works, as long as it does."

For me, it's this. As we tell our own users, I don't care how it works behind-the-scenes, I care about the front-end and the content. That said, all my work is in a classified environment so "the cloud" has never, and will never, be a player for me. It's be an interesting read if you do go this route, but personally I could never benefit from lessons learned. Best of luck if you choose to do it!

Post #1574117
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 10:10 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 8:49 AM
I'd like to also see your planning for cloud failure. This would be very interesting for me. I have read about cases where a cloud provider goes out of business and end-users are given only a few days to pull everything off. Also an exploration of the legal aspects would be interesting. Right now my understanding of the law says that if the Feds grabbed the servers for an unrelated issue they wouldn't have to give SSC back their data. How will you prepare for that (and should you?). All very interesting. Another question might be now that you don't control your servers and data 100% will you do anything different. An admin at a cloud provider was recently fired and used some back doors he set up to cause trouble. Will you prepare for that? Will you save money? What's your ROI? Will you prep an ROI analysis before moving?

I think you should do it (all of it).
Post #1574132
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 10:17 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:03 AM
No better way to learn the benefits or problems than try to try to implement a solution / application at production.
Post #1574136
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 10:35 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Does Red Gate SQL Monitor work with SQL Azure; could we still peel back the covers and see that, if SQLServerCentral were hosted on Azure?
Post #1574145
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 10:43 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 3:34 PM
Like everything else, it is a business decision.
Does it lower costs?
Does it increase revenue?
Is it easier to manage?
Is there majors risks associated with either doing nothing or moving to the cloud?

I have my doubts that you will see any return on investment compared to doing nothing.

If you were just starting the site with no established infrastructure, then it might make more sense.

It might make sense if you were doing such a major overhaul to the site that it was really a new site.

What is your current setup? Hosted on your own infrastructure, hosted in a hosting center, etc.?

Post #1574148
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 11:06 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:53 PM
I'd REALLY be interested in this especially if a comparison of costs between the current rendition of SSC and the cloud version were CAREFULLY TRACKED and revealed. I think that there will be a fair number of hidden costs and savings revealed and this would be a beautiful chance to do such a comparison.

As to the following comment of...

Since you really don't have any medical, financial or legally sensitive information and SSC is a web site, not a critical business service set in a "real" enterprise, you should be a perfect candidate for Azure.

... heh... lose my stuff and it may become a medically sensitive issue for someone when I make a personal visit in my postal uniform to find out where my stuff went.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1574155
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 11:07 AM

SSCommitted

Dalkeith (5/23/2014)
No better way to learn the benefits or problems than try to try to implement a solution / application at production.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/seliot/archive/2011/04/25/i-don-t-always-test-my-code-but-when-i-do-i-do-it-in-production.aspx
Post #1574156
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 11:22 AM
Hall of Fame

Last Login: Saturday, November 22, 2014 7:46 PM
SQLServerCentral just a service and I don't care how it works, as long as it does

Regards
Rudy Komacsar
Senior Database Administrator

"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."
Post #1574161
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse