Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

What are you worth? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:38 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item What are you worth?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1572021
Posted Monday, May 19, 2014 1:35 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 2:00 AM
I'd also suggest going over the contract in detail and be prepared to reject any job offer if you don't like the contractual terms. Companies will then either refuse to renegotiate (in which case, your decision is right), will explain the terms, or will amend the terms following a renegotiation.

It gives you a flavour of how they will deal with any future concerns you might have regarding salaries, working time, etc.
Post #1572159
Posted Monday, May 19, 2014 2:00 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:30 AM
I find the same is true for freelancer rates. These are the guidelines I follow:
  • never consider a rate that I would be dissatisfied with

• ignore what any 3rd party receives (it is their business whether they are satisfied what they have negotiated)

• never discuss rates/salaries with colleagues as this often leads to dissatisfaction (and as already pointed out, can break terms of the contract)

• Basically, if I am happy with my lot I do not worry about anyone else as it is their responsibility. I may have had a differing opinion if I was a permanent employee but I am not and I don't.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
    Post #1572164
    Posted Monday, May 19, 2014 3:28 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:43 AM
    Personally, whilst I may be a grumpy old sod, I do favour making friends with my fellow employees and getting to know people's salaries after a drink or two. Yes, it goes against terms, and I think an 'I'll show you mine if you show me yours' is the only approach. This means obviously trying to avoid such discussions with the type of person who will blab about the discussion. However such data is generally helpful when negotiating - and I would never say 'Oh, X gets Y so I should get Z' - simply to understand where you are standing and whether it seems reasonable with respect to your relative contribution.
    Post #1572184
    Posted Monday, May 19, 2014 3:37 AM
    SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 2:00 AM
    call.copse (5/19/2014)
    Personally, whilst I may be a grumpy old sod, I do favour making friends with my fellow employees and getting to know people's salaries after a drink or two. Yes, it goes against terms, and I think an 'I'll show you mine if you show me yours' is the only approach. This means obviously trying to avoid such discussions with the type of person who will blab about the discussion. However such data is generally helpful when negotiating - and I would never say 'Oh, X gets Y so I should get Z' - simply to understand where you are standing and whether it seems reasonable with respect to your relative contribution.

On one occasion, the other DBA in the team left to become a contractor. Our job descriptions were identical, our skill sets very similar in terms of both range and experience. The vacancy for his job was advertised with a band that started at my salary and extended a further 10k, which was 6k higher than my supposed salary band. It took a lot of commentary/negotiation on my part to get another 2k on my salary at that point. The person they eventually recruited didn't have my skills/expertise. Needless to say, the whole episode informed my subsequent relationship with that company.
    Post #1572186
    Posted Monday, May 19, 2014 4:03 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:45 PM
    Absolutely right.If you do not ask, you will not get.But at the same time it is also true that sometimes we fear of loosing offer and quote less.

--rhythmk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    To post your question use below link

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    Post #1572196
    Posted Monday, May 19, 2014 4:44 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:30 AM
    My first job after graduating was at a place that, at the time, were very secretive about salaries. Unfortunately the manager of the section left a spreadsheet on the printer (overnight) which had a costing column against everyone in the department name's. It took 2 of my colleagues to confirm that it was approximately x% of salary. Can of worms...opened!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
    Post #1572214
    Posted Monday, May 19, 2014 7:34 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 6:45 PM
    Very relevant to me, now that I'm being downsized. I've got a fairly good idea what I'm worth, as a senior programmer analyst. But I've got no idea at all what I'm worth as an accidental DBA. Indeed, I've never even looked, nor do I have any idea as to where to look for that information. Suggestions, anyone?

Rod
    Post #1572275
    Posted Monday, May 19, 2014 7:37 AM
    SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:01 PM
    Management's job is to keep their costs as low as possible, since they manage to a budget. IMHO, it would work better if the sports model was followed, where the direct managers have not direct control over their staff's salary. Then, the management relationship is focused on managing, and not salary and benefits.

The more you are prepared, the less you need it.
    Post #1572279
    Posted Monday, May 19, 2014 8:03 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:39 PM
    Doctor Who 2 (5/19/2014)
    Very relevant to me, now that I'm being downsized. I've got a fairly good idea what I'm worth, as a senior programmer analyst. But I've got no idea at all what I'm worth as an accidental DBA. Indeed, I've never even looked, nor do I have any idea as to where to look for that information. Suggestions, anyone?

My first piece of advice is that you should never refer to yourself as an "accidental DBA" in front of a recruiter or prospective employer. That's just a term we use between ourselves here in the community.

I know a lot of folks don't like recruiters. However, a good recruiter can offer guidance about how you rank against others in your field and how much you're worth in the market... so long YOU are paying their fee, and there is an uderstanding that you're hiring them as a consultant for career advice.

Post #1572291
    « Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse