Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Removing Memory-optimized tables Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:05 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Removing Memory-optimized tables

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1568262
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 12:19 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:49 AM
Great question, had me do some research. First I thought the correct answer was listed as a "funny decoy". Turns out it wasn't...

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1568290
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 12:23 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 2:56 AM
One more good question on new technology, did some research. Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Post #1568291
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 12:40 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:46 PM
+1. As I have also contributed the same question for QoTD and it is yet to published.However the nature of question is different

--rhythmk
------------------------------------------------------------------
To post your question use below link

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
Post #1568294
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:56 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:37 AM
Thank you for post, SJ. Interesting one.

Well, thanks to the local help files on SQL-2014, after reading the one of the limitations of memory-optimized file-groups (below), my mind generated list of questions, sequentially, so fast......, I am really not sure if these thought/s are valid or my mind is just babbling around, as I still very very new to this concept and it certainly going to need good amount of time to understand them.

Once you create a memory-optimized filegroup, you can only remove it by dropping the database. In a production environment, it is unlikely that you will need to remove the memory-optimized filegroup.
UNQUOTE

(that word... "unlikely" is bothering me a lot )

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Post #1568375
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:33 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 4:51 AM
Nice question. I didn't know the answer, so had to look it up in BOL. I didn't use the reference provided in the explanation, because tehobvios place to look for this question seemed to be the BOL page called The Memory Optimized Filegroup because the page title looks right for this question. Using that page, like Raghu I came across that statement
In a production environment, it is unlikely that you will need to remove the memory-optimized filegroup
and started wondering (a) what I would do if that ever happened (that's easy if I can have sufficient down-time for a restore, but OLTP systems sometimes don't allow that) and (b) under what imaginable circumstances would I want to remove the filegroup (as opposed to moving the containers in it).

Tom
Post #1568413
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:52 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:35 AM
That was an excellent question. While I was surprised to find the answer while doing the research, it is what it is...until MS changes it. Thanks for a good one.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1568435
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:02 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 4:42 AM
Raghavendra Mudugal (5/7/2014)
Once you create a memory-optimized filegroup, you can only remove it by dropping the database. In a production environment, it is unlikely that you will need to remove the memory-optimized filegroup.
UNQUOTE

What about development and testing... I have then been unlikely ooops, unlucky having to remove the mo-fg about 20 times in my testing this week.

Post #1568442
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:05 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:22 AM
Hmph. Since the question asked how to remove the filegroup from the database, I didn't consider dropping the database a viable option.

"Memory-optimized filegroups cannot be deleted."
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn284308(v=sql.120).aspx

Post #1568444
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:18 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:37 AM
Eirikur Eiriksson (5/7/2014)
Raghavendra Mudugal (5/7/2014)
UNQUOTE

What about development and testing... I have then been unlikely ooops, unlucky having to remove the mo-fg about 20 times in my testing this week.

Risk: 0
Experience: 1

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Post #1568452
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse