Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

First SQl job were you nervous? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:37 AM
thomashohner (5/4/2014)
I did a Google search and yes the Recursive CTE does seem to have a HUGE performace disadvantage compared to a Loop. I'm still very new at this so my next question to research and understand is why.

It'll probably be faster than an explicit loop. Slower than a proper set-based operation. That's because behind the scenes it is a loop.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1567363
Posted Sunday, May 4, 2014 4:45 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 7:39 AM
[quote]
Do you use a While Loop or Recursive CTE to make your test data?[quote]

Niether, I spent this time researching how to do this and stumbled on a article by a very articulate fellow on this forum. However I do believe this comment may have been testing how ingnorant I am on the subject which incidentally is very much so.

Thanks look forward to putting your article in action.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Data+Generation/87901/

***SQL born on date Spring 2013
Post #1567374
Posted Sunday, May 4, 2014 6:59 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 2:42 PM
thomashohner (5/4/2014)
[quote]
Do you use a While Loop or Recursive CTE to make your test data?[quote]

Niether, I spent this time researching how to do this and stumbled on a article by a very articulate fellow on this forum. However I do believe this comment may have been testing how ingnorant I am on the subject which incidentally is very much so.

Thanks look forward to putting your article in action.

Shucks... first, thanks for the "attention to detail" on one of your previous posts above. And I also say "Thank you" for the very nice complement. I'm humbled.

Shifting gears, it admittedly was a wee bit of a "test" to find out if you really meant that you already sussed the million row test table thing. If you were stuck on While Loops (mostly because of the poor functionality of RAND()) or rCTEs, I was going to suggest the very article that you posted back. Nicely done and good form on your part.

Just for convenience sake, here are the URLs for both of the "test data" articles.
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Test+Data/88964/

Last but not least and as you can see from the resposes that instantly popped up when you mentioned using rCTEs, here are a couple of articles to assist you in your research, if you haven't already come across them.
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/74118/
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/62867/

Getting back to the subject at hand and based on what's happened in this thread so far, I think you have the right attitude and will do very well whether it's something new or not. Never lose the nervousness. It's one of your best assets to drive you to success no matter what you do.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1567380
Posted Monday, May 5, 2014 5:02 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 10:17 AM
You should be nervous.

You're talking about taking responsibility for what, in this modern age, is arguably the most valuable asset of many organizations, the data. If that doesn't scare the pants off you, you're probably not a good fit for the job.

I get nervous about every new job and every new situation in old jobs. But, how do you deal with the nervousness? Ignore it and plow forward? Run & hide? Or, acknowledge it and try to get as much information as you can so you can be better prepared so that you're mitigating the issue without dismissing it? Do that last thing and you'll be fine (most of the time).

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of:
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1567470
Posted Monday, May 5, 2014 7:56 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:46 PM
I'm always nervous, every time. One of my problems is that it's hard for me to articulate exactly how to do something in SQL, or explain it to other people...but if you put me in front of SQL Server with requirements, I'm totally fine. If you give me a query that's performing badly and tell me to make it run fast, I can almost always do that without too much difficulty.

But yeah...nervous? Every time, all the time. I feel like I never know enough.
Post #1567515
Posted Monday, May 5, 2014 9:35 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 7:39 AM
@Jeff Moden thanks for the links this will be a huge benefit in being able to test several things I have been wanting to try. Especially testing different query techniques and the performance factor.

@Grant Fritchey I just hit my year anniversary recently of ever even hearing the word SQL. So everything makes me super nervous I suppose that will be around for a very long, long time. I also have your book on my reading stack on Amazon.

***SQL born on date Spring 2013
Post #1567568
Posted Monday, May 5, 2014 12:37 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 2:05 PM
More than each new job makes me nervous, each new mystery I can't explain makes me nervous!!! Did I miss something small and stupid? Is this a whole new bug we haven't seen? What changed?

I figure that being nervous means that I care enough to not bugger it up and that counts. It would be easier to not give a damn, then I could be calm all day every day.

I've learned to live with it as part of the job. One thing to not do, however, is worry about what might go wrong overnight or while you are away on vacation. that's the kind of nervous that can eat you and is not healthy.

You're in good company, I didn't go to school for this, I rather fell into it a couple decades ago. Once you accept that you will never know and master everything, you'll be fine. Already being someone that can figure things out for themselves and uncover new resources to assist you in that endeavor, you are an excellent candidate for geekhood.
Post #1567676
Posted Monday, May 5, 2014 12:56 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 10:28 AM
I still get nervous for every new job/client/project.
It keeps me on the edge

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1567683
Posted Monday, May 5, 2014 4:32 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:53 PM
Worry as a virtue? Guess that qualifies me as a saint.

Seriously, these comments about worry as an asset from this group of posters is like therapy for me. It gives me permission to feel okay about my anxiety as I approach a new set of specs or even a Monday morning.

It is comforting to know that people with skill sets like yours share this demon. I’ll work to embrace it as you have.
Post #1567735
Posted Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:49 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:11 PM
In the jobs that I enjoyed doing, when I hit something new, if I found I was sure I could handle it I immediately handed it on to a junior; if I was unsure of myself and worried about whether I could produce, I got on with it. If you are always challenged, you will be always unsure, always worried. If you aren't challenged, life is just too dull. Learning new things is fun, but you can never be sure you will manage to understand them until you have learnt the critical parts, so unsureness must be a sign that you are having fun.
Now that I'm pretty much retired I don't hit enough situations where I'm not sure I'm up to what I need to do. Maybe I need to unretire.

Tom
Post #1568245
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse