Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Using SQLIO block size parameter Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 4:27 PM
Hello,

If SQL server writes mostly in 64k blocks why would one want to test with any parameter other than -b64?

Thanks
Scott
Post #1567157
Posted Friday, May 2, 2014 2:13 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

I should know better by now than to post a question on a friday afternoon...
Post #1567175
Posted Friday, May 2, 2014 11:10 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
Depending on the action (backups, transaction log writes, etc.), SQL Server has several different types of IO sizes, so it is worth testing different block sizes.

I test with block sizes of 8K, 16K, 32K, 64K, 128K, and 256K for sequential read, sequential write, random read, and random write.

Depending on the disk size, I use a test file size of at least 50GB to make sure I am overcoming the impact of disk controller or SAN caching.

I am usually most interested in the 64K random read and random write performance, because many IO systems struggle to get good performance with these. I set up a new server recently, and saw a huge 64K random read and random write performance improvement when I reformatted a volume from the default 4K cluster size to 64K.

Post #1567216
Posted Saturday, May 3, 2014 5:32 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Ok, thanks much.

Scott
Post #1567304
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse