Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Add Network Places using PoSh Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:48 AM
I'm getting a new Windows 7 desktop. From a powershell perspective, probably a good thing.

But, I have a goodly number of Network Places mapped on my XP box, and I'd like to re-create those mappings on my new box.

I've not seen anything that looks programmatic / PoSh in my search results.They seem to point to AddNetPlaceRunDll, but....

Any ideas?

Post #1566098
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:59 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:38 AM
Are you talking about something like this?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2012/06/10/weekend-scripter-use-powershell-to-manage-windows-network-locations.aspx

- Tony Sweet
Post #1566102
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:52 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 6:13 PM
schleep (4/29/2014)
I'm getting a new Windows 7 desktop. From a powershell perspective, probably a good thing.

But, I have a goodly number of Network Places mapped on my XP box, and I'd like to re-create those mappings on my new box.

I've not seen anything that looks programmatic / PoSh in my search results.They seem to point to AddNetPlaceRunDll, but....

Any ideas?

Yes... make them give you the upgrade to Windows 8.1.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1566198
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:18 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:07 PM
Jeff Moden (4/29/2014)
schleep (4/29/2014)

Any ideas?

Totally agree. I preferred Windows 8.0 over 7. I never saw what the big fuss was about. Once you have shortcuts or pins to your commonly used apps then you usually have to scour for that app you are sure was installed. I prefer the Win8 search over the Start Bar search any day. Plus there are a lot of other improvements as well. PowerShell being a case in point.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1566243
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:29 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Hi Tony,

I did come across that one, but no, that's not what I'm after.

The one I want is, in Win 7, right click on Computer, Add a network location.

Thanks.

Post #1566322
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:38 AM
SSC-Addicted

Ha ha! We're just getting to Win 7. By the time we're ready to upgrade, I'd be surprised if it's still called Windows.

Post #1566325
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:42 AM
SSC-Addicted

As far as I can tell, they're shortcuts stored in my c:\users\...ethood folder, which I can access in XP, but not in Win 7 even running Windows Explorer as Administrator...

Post #1566327
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse