Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

System Database restores vs rebuild Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:01 AM

Bear in mind, the server you restore to should be exactly the same (version, sp possibly even cu, but I'd not swear to that one) as your old one otherwise it is unlikely to work.

Yes, I was wondering about the CU and if it needed to be the same.
Post #1565738
Posted Monday, April 28, 2014 11:10 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:50 AM
karend211 34657 (4/28/2014)
Why would you need a new server just because sql server won't start??

I am thinking worst case scenario & want to be prepared & have a plan for all avenues. Yes, I'd check the windows event log & sql server error log but honestly, unless there is something in there that gives me something to go on, I would be tempted to not waste too much time. - have I mentioned I'm an "accidental" dba -- .net developer 85% of the time.

Thank you everyone for the replies & links posted, I've found them very informative. I think what i've got from this is to practice practice practice the different methods that may be needed for recovery.

In my experience sql server doesnt just stop starting correctly for no reason. Most likely\common reasons are missing folder (somone deleted tempdb folder) or missing permission to a folder.
In just about all cases the sql server log and windows app log will highlight the problem area, you just need to go fix it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1565755
Posted Monday, April 28, 2014 11:12 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:50 AM
andrew gothard (4/28/2014)
Bear in mind, the server you restore to should be exactly the same (version, sp possibly even cu, but I'd not swear to that one) as your old one otherwise it is unlikely to work.

i have seen problems before on systems where this hasnt been adhered to for SPs, CU should also be matched too although these are SP based and one may argue not as critical, i dont subscribe to that theory though. I would always match SP and CU.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1565756
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:38 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:52 AM
karend211 34657 (4/28/2014)
I am thinking worst case scenario & want to be prepared & have a plan for all avenues.

To be honest, short of corrupted/missing OS files, I can't think of much which would require a server rebuild to fix.
Edit: Or boot drive failures (RIP my test server)

The 'Not wasting time' is why I wrote that article on a non-starting SQL Server. It covers the common problems, how to diagnose and options for fixing.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1565801
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:43 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:01 AM
The 'Not wasting time' is why I wrote that article on a non-starting SQL Server. It covers the common problems, how to diagnose and options for fixing.

Yes, I read it, book marked it, will keep it & use it in the event I should need it. It's a great resource, thank you for posting it.
Post #1565927
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse