Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Open Source the MCM Expand / Collapse
Author

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:21 AM
Taking the questions/scenarios out of the context of the lab environment (strange environment, limited time, no internet just BOL) would detract from the experience that most of us had taking the exam. I'm not apposed to releasing the questions, but it wouldn't be the same. I think the knowledge exam would be a great set of questions that could be released to the public, but some of those questions could be reused in the current exams.

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1564256
Posted Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:27 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:50 PM
My reading of the editorial was that the material would be good for self-learning NOT so others can resurrect the MCM certification.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1564260
Posted Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:42 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:18 PM
GilaMonster (4/23/2014)
Brent Ozar (4/23/2014)
A lot of the fun of the MCM lab was that the questions had surprising catches. The questions and answers alone weren't enough - the lab environment itself had tricky gotchas that you had to solve in order to get to the solution.

And the time constraint was a large part of the challenge.

Nothing in my lab exam was extremely difficult, given enough time to research and figure it out. The challenge was that there wasn't time to research and figure it out.

I'd have to agree here. I thought the bigger issues boiled down to time management and BOL use. I like the gotchas and they were necessary in the environment to help demonstrate troubleshooting.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1564271
Posted Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:59 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:02 AM
jasona.work (4/23/2014)

The "Joe's school of DBAing OpenMCM" would be looked at as a joke, while an OpenMCM from "Brent Ozar, Inc," or "Gail Shaws School of SQL" would be shining beacons of certification...

(OK, OK, I'll quit sucking up )

HA! Well, the problem is that it'd be an incredibly expensive program to run. I was part of the group that built the 2012 labs (which apparently never saw the light of day) and a quick back-of-the-envelope guess would be around half a million USD of labor. It's way, way more expensive than it sounds if you want it to be legally defensible.

Plus the only people who can write MCM exams would be...MCMs, and at that point, you're talking about fairly expensive labor. Writing tests just doesn't pay that well.

Post #1564277
Posted Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:18 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:50 PM
Brent Ozar (4/23/2014)
...Plus the only people who can write MCM exams would be...MCMs, and at that point, you're talking about fairly expensive labor. Writing tests just doesn't pay that well.

So the answer is to send money to Gaz's Shonkey School of Certificates and my kids I will generate with WordArt send you a pathetic authentic Mikrosopht Certifiable Master certificate.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1564300
Posted Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:43 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:34 PM
Gary Varga (4/23/2014)

I can see the benefits to the community and thus to Microsoft but as what cost?

What's the cost? What do you see as a downside?

A little lawyer time to remove the NDA and then put up a download.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Post #1564345
Posted Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:44 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

andrew gothard (4/23/2014)
jasona.work (4/23/2014)
Gary, I think if MS open-sourced the MCM questions and scenarios, you'd fairly quickly find people using them as templates to create new questions and scenarios for newer versions of SQL.

Therein lies the problem. What's to stop someone forking it with good old favourites like;

Q. "What do you do when your database is in suspect mode?"
A. "Detatch the database, delete the log file, reattatch the database. Everything will be fine"
or
A. "Run dbcc checkdb repair allow data loss. What could possibly go wrong"

all with a shiny OpenMCM <Insert animal logo here> badge. There'd need to be some form of quality control in there, and I can't see MS taking that on board

Are you saying you think that other companies would make a cert? Who cares? Why do you need quality control here?

Post #1564347
Posted Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:45 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Gary Varga (4/23/2014)
My reading of the editorial was that the material would be good for self-learning NOT so others can resurrect the MCM certification.

Yes

Post #1564351
Posted Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:46 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Keith Tate (4/23/2014)
Taking the questions/scenarios out of the context of the lab environment (strange environment, limited time, no internet just BOL) would detract from the experience that most of us had taking the exam. I'm not apposed to releasing the questions, but it wouldn't be the same. I think the knowledge exam would be a great set of questions that could be released to the public, but some of those questions could be reused in the current exams.

Hence the reason the MCM cert would still be valuable, but the scenarios, and maybe some of the setup of the environments, would be good learning/interviewing ideas.

Post #1564352
Posted Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:53 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:21 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/23/2014)
Keith Tate (4/23/2014)

Hence the reason the MCM cert would still be valuable, but the scenarios, and maybe some of the setup of the environments, would be good learning/interviewing ideas.
I agree with you that it could be a good learning opportunity and I wish more exams would include this type situation based questioning rather than just drag-and-drop or MC.

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Post #1564360
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse