Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Consolidation Matters Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:21 PM
Jeff Moden (4/21/2014)
Heh... this reminds me of hemlines in fashion. They change every other year.

Remember when distributed computing was all the rage? It wasnt' that long ago. Just before that was consolidation. Just before that was distributed computing. Just before that was.... etc, etc, ad infinitum.

Now we even have distrubuted computing with "central management". That's a hemline with a big ol' slit down the legs to make it sexy.

Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee when I read this, because I would have 'distributed' it due to laughing at the last line.
Post #1563660
Posted Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:23 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, June 13, 2014 12:40 PM
Jeff Moden (4/21/2014)

Remember when distributed computing was all the rage? It wasnt' that long ago. Just before that was consolidation. Just before that was distributed computing. Just before that was.... etc, etc, ad infinitum.

Now we even have distrubuted computing with "central management". That's a hemline with a big ol' slit down the legs to make it sexy.

I did some consulting work for a Fortune 500 company in Oak Brook IL. I expressed amazement at all the consultants they were bringing on, only to be told by the director I was speaking to that they do this every 5 years or so. Fire the employees and bring in consultants for a few years. Then fire the consultants to save money and hire a bunch of employees. The director had been with them for decades so I presume they knew what they were talking about. I think that is very common in business, every new VP or CEO feels the need to prove their worth by increasing sales or cutting costs, and usually cutting costs is the easier, although not the best, route.

Dave
Post #1563975
Posted Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:23 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 9:38 AM
marcia.j.wilson (4/21/2014)
Jeff Moden (4/21/2014)

Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee when I read this, because I would have 'distributed' it due to laughing at the last line.

BAWAAA-HAAA!!! Oh you made my day and I did distribute some coffee when I read your response! Thanks for the laugh, Marcia!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1564094
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse