Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Is an Index Being Used? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 7:12 AM
I am looking for a short piece that queries the DMVs to show which indexes are being used by your workload and which ones are not. This should be a quick way to show a reader how to tell if their indexes are being used.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1563098
Posted Sunday, May 4, 2014 3:24 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:11 AM
Steve-
I could write something on this, and the implicancies of having more indexes tan needed, the effects on performance, normal transactional and maintenance activities.

Let me know if this is in line with your thoughts on this topic

Silvia
Post #1567371
Posted Monday, May 5, 2014 10:25 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

I'm looking for something short here. A scenario or two and how you can determine what is being used, and potential downfalls of the technique (counters reset). The idea is to focus here.

If you're like to do a second piece (or just write something), on more tuning indexes based on queries or other items, then that's fine as well.

Post #1567608
Posted Monday, May 5, 2014 9:02 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 29, 2014 12:27 PM
I think the article I submitted recently provides this information. I include code examples for seeing both which indexes are being used and what indexes the server thinks need to be added.
Post #1567762
Posted Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:02 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Post #1568011
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse