Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234

More Memory Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:14 PM
Never use task manager to check SQL's memory. It reports incorrect values when SQL is using locked pages.

The page size is not a concern, 8GB is probably what you have it set to be. The 200 MB is not an accurate memory usage for SQL, so no, it is not a concern.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1568097
Posted Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:08 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:14 AM
oh so its the lock pages that skews those results.

what is an accurate way to get how much memory sql is actually using so i can show my boss the memory is being used?

Thanks for all your help.
Post #1568100
Posted Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:57 PM This worked for the OP Answer marked as solution

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 1:14 PM
Well, not skews results so much as causes task manager to mis-report.

Performance Monitor. Easiest is total server memory under (I think) the SQL Server Memory Manager. You can also go to the process object, find sqlservr.exe and look at all the memory-related counters there.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1568143
Posted Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:22 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:14 AM
Thanks I used one of the Dyamic views that I found and it shows 6.5 gigs so we are good. Way to go task manager.

Thanks for all the help
Post #1568155
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 3:49 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 3:38 AM
I will try to test this but have very limited time over the next 2 weeks.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1568348
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234

Permissions Expand / Collapse