Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Enabling LPIM and AWE Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:47 AM
mlwiller2 (4/14/2014)
So is LPIM not a requirement for AWE to function (just a recommendation)?

It is a requirement.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1561607
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 11:54 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, April 28, 2014 6:46 AM
I got "0 rows effected." I'm going to upgrade to SP4 on my test VM to see if that could be the issue. If I'm running SQL using the system account I shouldn't need to adjust the user roles right?
Post #1561608
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 11:56 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

sqlbuddy123 (4/14/2014)
I'm not sure why MS interlinked both of these settings.

Because they're very tightly linked.

AWE memory is allocated using the AllocPhysicalMemory API call (I'll get you the actual API function name if you want). Only applications with the locked pages in memory privilege have permission to call the AllocPhysicalMemory API

Hence just enabling AWE tells SQL to please use the AllocPhysicalMemory API call instead of VirtualAlloc, but unless you enable locked pages in memory, the SQL process does not have permission to call that API.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #1561611
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 12:03 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 2:57 PM
GilaMonster (4/14/2014)
sqlbuddy123 (4/14/2014)
I'm not sure why MS interlinked both of these settings.

Because they're very tightly linked.

AWE memory is allocated using the AllocPhysicalMemory API call (I'll get you the actual API function name if you want). Only applications with the locked pages in memory privilege have permission to call the AllocPhysicalMemory API

Hence just enabling AWE tells SQL to please use the AllocPhysicalMemory API call instead of VirtualAlloc, but unless you enable locked pages in memory, the SQL process does not have permission to call that API.

Thanks Gail. It's bit weird bcs they both do different functions and still MS interlinks them.

--
SQLBuddy
Post #1561616
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 12:08 PM

SSC-Forever

sqlbuddy123 (4/14/2014)
It's bit weird bcs they both do different functions and still MS interlinks them.

No, they don't do different things. MS interlinks them because they're actually the same thing under the hood.

Gail Shaw

Post #1561621
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 12:12 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

GilaMonster (4/14/2014)
sqlbuddy123 (4/14/2014)
It's bit weird bcs they both do different functions and still MS interlinks them.

No, they don't do different things. MS interlinks them because they're actually the same thing under the hood.

LPIM locks the SQL Server Pages. AWE extends the SQL Server memory. How are they related ?

--
SQLBuddy
Post #1561624
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 12:19 PM

SSC-Forever

I just explained that

Gail Shaw

Post #1561625
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 12:36 PM
Ten Centuries

My question was Why is this dependency and how can this be justified ?

GilaMonster (4/14/2014) Only applications with the locked pages in memory privilege have permission to call the AllocPhysicalMemory API

--
SQLBuddy
Post #1561638
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 2:18 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:03 AM
mlwiller2 (4/14/2014)
But yeah its x86. Both SQL (standard) and windows server 2003 (standard) are 32bit versions.

Unfortunately, with Windows 2003 Standard 32 bit the OS will not support more than 4GB RAM, you would need to upgrade to Windows 2003 Enterprise edition 32 bit or higher.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1561670
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 4:38 PM

SSC-Forever

sqlbuddy123 (4/14/2014)
My question was Why is this dependency and how can this be justified ?

When the Windows Engineers were working initially on AWE for 32-bit processes they implemented it with a different API call so that only apps which knew how to handle the higher address spaces could use it, and because it's not going through the virtual memory manager, memory allocated with that API couldn't be paged out. So any memory allocated with the AWE APIs was locked in memory and required a special permission before an app could use it (you're bypassing some of Window's memory management, that's something which has to be explicitly granted to a process)

Later on, that 'can't be paged out' became a feature in itself and so the AWE memory allocation mechanism became use for preventing paging out, rather than it's original usage of allowing access to memory above the 4GB limit of 32-bit process address space and after the switch to 64-bit happened, there was no longer a need to accessing memory above what the process's address space could map (it's a ridiculously large number for a 64-bit process) and so the AWE APIs became solely for allocating memory which can't be paged out.

When you grant a process 'locked pages in memory', it uses the AWE APIs to allocate memory. It's not a dependency, the two are intricately linked. One is the API used, one is a permission required to use that API.

Gail Shaw

Post #1561689
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse