Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Remove Desing-time variable values from package Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 3, 2014 4:54 AM
I develop a set of SSIS-packages with several variables. First, the package loads the database connection string from .dtsconfig file. Then, applies other variable values from database table. The purpose of the package is to load data from web-service and store it into the database.

The first problem may occur when moving to Q&A or Prod environments. In case of any problems with config-file, the package continues loading the data, using design time variables, and rewrites production data with records, loaded from development web-service.

The second problem is distribution. I don't want our customers to see any of our server names. Or other sensitive information.

Are there any means to remove the design-time values from SSIS package before deploying it anywhere?

I cannot protect the package with user key, as it is meant to be distributed. And it doesn't solve the first problem.
AFAIK, there is no way to declare the variable as sensitive (http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1234330-364-1.aspx)
I'd like to make everything automatic. I can delete all values every time before saving the package, but this won't fit: someone will surely forget to do this.
Post #1561239
Posted Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:23 PM This worked for the OP Answer marked as solution
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 7:07 AM
One way of doing this is to edit the package in a text editor and remove the values that way.

Before:
<DTS:VariableValue DTS:DataType="14">120</DTS:VariableValue>

After:
<DTS:VariableValue DTS:DataType="14"></DTS:VariableValue>

Post #1561240
Posted Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 3, 2014 4:54 AM
Eirikur Eiriksson (4/12/2014)
One way of doing this is to edit the package in a text editor and remove the values that way.

At this moment, it seems to be the only way to solve my problem.
I use a powershell script to delete the unwanted data.
Post #1562600
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse